How Do I Make A Ladder Out Of Royal Icing For A Fire Truck?

Decorating By wguillot Updated 19 Feb 2010 , 11:22pm by Kiddiekakes

wguillot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wguillot Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 5:44pm
post #1 of 9

I am trying to make a ladder out of royal icing for a fire truck birthday cake. Any ideas on how to go about doing this? any tips would be MUCH appreciated!

8 replies
bridge72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bridge72 Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 9

I'm a newbie also and my thoughts would be to trace the design of the ladder you want on plain white paper then cover with waxed paper and follow the design underneath. Let dry and then remove it carefully and apply it to your cake. HTH icon_smile.gif

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 6:00pm
post #3 of 9

I think I would try gumpaste or fondant instead. I may be wrong, but all I can imagine doing is to put waxed paper down on a cookie sheet, and using a large tip, pip it out and really let it set up. But I'm thinking that any large piece like that, especially with such small areas covered, it will be very fragile and likely to break. Good luck with it. Will it be secured to the side of a fire truck or another surface? In that case, maybe just pipe directly onto the surface it will be attached to.

mullett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mullett Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 6:06pm
post #4 of 9

If the royal icing will have time to dry put it over spaghetti or linguine noodles laid out to minic a ladder. This will make the ladder stronger.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 6:19pm
post #5 of 9

I would be inclined to make it out of candy melts, fast drying and very sturdy!

ChefAngie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefAngie Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 6:24pm
post #6 of 9

Royal icing will work- lay a ladder frame using spaghetti or linguini on waxed paper or parchment paper and pipe using a flat tip. Use a paint brush dipped in water to finish edges and smooth. Let dry 2 to 3 days and use a tapered spatula to release ladder from paper. If you don't want the spaghetti to show from the back paint thinned royal icing over it and let dry.
Pretzel sticks dipped in white chocolate.-The small ones. Lay out into a ladder as you dip-lay on parchment paper.
Hope this helps.
Happy Baking and Decoorating,
Chef Angie

sugarlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlicious Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 6:25pm
post #7 of 9

I made mine out of gumpaste, rolled piece, cut 2 equal strips then the rungs for the ladder just cut quanity of small pieces same size and glued them between the 2 longer pieces with tylose glue and left to dry, worked out great for me.

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 9:33pm
post #8 of 9

I did a ladder using royal icing and it worked out fine. I used a tip #3 to pipe it. I did draw a pattern on a cake board and then covered with wax paper. I piped onto the wax paper and let dry a couple days - you can see it in my pix - it's the firetruck cake. I did make 2 extra "just in case" but didn't need them. thumbs_up.gif Good luck.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 11:22pm
post #9 of 9

I made mine with royal icing..As long as it is made well enough in advance the royal icing is very strong.I piped over a template and then pieced them together on the truck to make it look 3D.Here is a pic...
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%