Nationwide Shipping ?????

Business By pixie_dust51 Updated 20 Feb 2010 , 2:13pm by Mike1394

pixie_dust51 Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 3:05pm
post #1 of 8

hi there i was wondering if any of you do nationwide shipping and if so wat sorts of cakes do you ship and how do you pack them etc please help shed some light on this subject for me as i heard of someone doing it and they havnt replie to my pm and im getting a lot of orders nation wide thx soooo much icon_smile.gif tis much appreciated

natyy/Pixie_dust51 icon_wink.gif

7 replies
Dreme Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 7:40pm
post #2 of 8

I want to know the same thing.

catlharper Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 10:31pm
post #3 of 8

I don't do the type of cake that would be shipped nationwide..mine are all custom cakes, carved cakes, 3D cakes..that sort of thing. I can't think that I would ever trust them to show up in one piece.

I do know that some places will do a single layer cake covered in fondant or frozen buttercream then boxed and then sealed in plastic and shipped in dry ice and coolers. Those would be less likely to get damaged.

I have seen great designers fly their cakes, one tier in each box, and have them hand carried on and off the plane and STILL there is always major damage they have to repair on site.

If you are thinking of single layer cakes with a sturdy covering or frozen covering then it may be worth it to go for it but I wouldn't consider doing 3D work or wedding cakes and then shipping them.

hope this helps!

Cat

cakesdivine Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 10:45pm
post #4 of 8

I have a cake of the month club and always before it was just for locals, but I ended up with an order from someone in Virginia. I have shipped 3 cakes one was a replacement cake because it looked like someone decided to jump up & down on the box. It was horrible. Each one has had something wrong with it. The post man delivered the replaced one on it's side and the one that was delivered yesterday was delivered to her upside down. I ship them in an insulated box frozen but since I have to ship 2 day the dry ice is gone by the time it is delivered so the cake is vulnerable to damage eventhough it is packed securely as possible. And mind you these are bundt cakes so they should hold up fine yet the PO doesn't care or even look at the boxes to make sure they follow the directions on the box.

The boxes are labled "this side up" "Fragile" "Perishable Item". The mail carrier told the woman that they don't really look at that stuff. What kind of crap is that! I have nothing but contempt for the US Postal Service

CakesByLJ Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 10:56pm
post #5 of 8

I personally have never shipped a cake.... but Mike McCarey does it on a daily basis.. most of his cakes are shipped, and I think he told us he has several accounts with different carriers; airline freight/cargo. He delivers it to the tarmac, and it gets picked up the same way at the other end.. Amazingly (no pun intended, icon_lol.gif ) he rarely has a problem. But then, after all, he IS Mike McCarey... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

pixie_dust51 Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 4:06am
post #6 of 8

thankyou all so much for your info im in australia and not sure about the actual posting here but would i hav to order dry ice where would i do that? do i just ring up the post office here???

thankyou all i really appreciate it icon_smile.gif

natty/pixie_dust51 icon_wink.gif

cakesdivine Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 2:07pm
post #7 of 8

I did learn that if I wanted to use Fed Ex white gloves service it is a minimum of $3000 per item to ship. don't think I can get that for a $40 cake...LOL

Mike1394 Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 2:13pm
post #8 of 8

You might want to check with the Dept of Ag before shipping. Shipping food across state lines requires certain regulations be followed.

Mike

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%