Fondant: Make Or Buy?

Decorating By cookiescookies Updated 19 Feb 2010 , 2:43pm by karenm0712

cookiescookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiescookies Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 1:23pm
post #1 of 13

I apologize if it's been asked before but it didn't come up on a search.

I've always bought fondant but am considering starting to try to make my own. What are people's experience? Is it cheaper and worth the hassle? Does the consistency come out just as nice?

Also, I'm vegetarian so would want to make it without gelatin. Will it work out just as nice?

12 replies
hynest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hynest Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 1:29pm
post #2 of 13

mmf is cheap and tastes great.icon_smile.gif

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 1:36pm
post #3 of 13

I've made mmf several times, and while I do prefer its taste, it's kind of a hassle to make. And, sometimes a batch comes out perfect, sometimes not. I prefer the reliability of store-bought...as long as it's not Wilton's!

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 1:37pm
post #4 of 13

Hi, I hate making fondant as it is very time consuming and hard work. If I make fondant then I have to put my cake prices up and if I do that I won't be able to sell any cakes at all. So I prefer buying! icon_smile.gif

sweetpea223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea223 Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 1:52pm
post #5 of 13

I've used Wilton fondant, tried the MMF and bought Satin Ice... all of which is good...altho when you are pressed for time, buying is the best option. You don't need to worry about making it. Altho, making MMF is a lot cheaper budget wise, I would prefer that. As for buying Satin Ice, I liked the taste of it better than the Wilton...but working with SI because I was more used to the Wilton was a little bit of a work for me. As for the Wilton, it seems that they only have the white in a bigger package, so if you needed color you still need to knead in whatever color you need...and it's also a pain... so, it is up to you which you prefer to go.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 2:04pm
post #6 of 13

I make my own MMF. It's not vegetarian though. I have seen recipes for vegan fondant using agar-agar flakes instead of gelatin, but I haven't tried them. My sister is a vegetarian but I just use marzipan for her instead because she prefers it.

cookiescookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiescookies Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 2:09pm
post #7 of 13

Wow! This forum is awesome... I can't believe I haven't logged in in so long. Thanks for all your replies. I'm leaning towards continuing to buy.

Has anyone made non-mmf fondant? As marshmallows aren't vegetarian. I'm assuming it's much harder to make?

jendardis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jendardis Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 2:13pm
post #8 of 13

Last night was my 1st time making MMF. I thought it was pretty easy, of course not as easy as opening a package. I have to always order fondant because I am not near a store to by it, so with the cost of shipping included premade fondant is just too expensive for me. This is the recipe I followed...

http://cakecentral.com/articles/105/mmf-how-to-decorate-cake-marshmallow-fondant

I do not know if it would work for you. Hope that helps!

Jen

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 2:29pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiescookies

Wow! This forum is awesome... I can't believe I haven't logged in in so long. Thanks for all your replies. I'm leaning towards continuing to buy.

Has anyone made non-mmf fondant? As marshmallows aren't vegetarian. I'm assuming it's much harder to make?

Hi, there is MFF - Michelle Foster's Fondant. I can't remember the ingredients though.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 2:38pm
post #10 of 13

MFF is awesome but it does require gelatin so it won't be suitable for your needs.

luts88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luts88 Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 2:38pm
post #11 of 13

I have made MMF, and MFF...personally im not a big fan of mmf i could not get the consistency right and it still tasted like marshmallows to me...MFF (michele fosters fondant) is great i absolutely love it but cost to cost i only save $0.70 per kg even when i factor in shipping of my satin ice. I prefer to buy it, but when i have extra time and i dont want to have to knead in color i use MFF because you can mix color in...also my mff white is never really true white so i still like to buy satin ice......oh and MFF has gelatin in it just for reference so it is not vegetarian or can be eaten by muslims.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 2:42pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashini

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiescookies

Hi, there is MFF - Michelle Foster's Fondant. I can't remember the ingredients though.

It's not vegetarian because it uses milk and gelatin but I make my own because I don't make enough cakes to justify the cost of purchased fondant. For me it doesn't seem to take much time but I love making it because I can color it before I add the powdered sugar which makes life so much easier. It takes me about 30 minutes to make a batch but that doesn't include the time it takes for it to cool but I usually am doing something else.

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 2:43pm
post #13 of 13

I don't mind making MMF or MFF and actually love it on sugar cookies, BUT if I were making a lot of cakes that required fondant covering I would buy it. There is no way I would make that much on my own because for me when I make it, it is hit or miss on the texture and consistancy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%