Quilting On A Carved Cake??? Help...

Decorating By erilay Updated 19 Feb 2010 , 8:12pm by dstbni

erilay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erilay Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 4:32am
post #1 of 4

Hi, I have a cake that I am going to carve in on an angle. Large at the top and small at the botton. A 10 inch to a 8 inch. I want to do a quilting diamond ptter on the sides. I am going to use a paper and trace the lines. I have never done this before and am nervous about doing it on a carved cake. Are my lines going to line up? I am worried because of the angle it will not work out correctly. Any advice before I take the plung... lol...
Thanks to anyone that can lend a hand.

3 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 4

use the edge of a plastic ruler to impress the lines, at least that way you're guaranteed that the lines will be straight when you put them on there...........not sure if they'll all line up perfectly in the end though, since I've only done it on straight sided cakes and pillow cakes.

erilay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erilay Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 7:51pm
post #3 of 4

icon_biggrin.gif I was going to use acitate paper, but I like your idea better. I wanted to use the stitching tool. I can use it over the indented lines and still get the stitched effect, correct? Thanks a bunch...

dstbni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dstbni Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 8:12pm
post #4 of 4

Yes, if you go over the indentations with a stitching tool you'll ge a stitched effect. I think as far as the pattern goes, it would line up better if the diamonds scaled down with the cake. You should be able to accomplish this by dividing the top and bottom cake into the same number of sections (8ths, 10ths, etc) and then drawing diagonal lines between your dividing marks on the top and the bottom, then make diagonal lines in the opposite direction. I hope that makes sense.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%