My First Cake Ever...

Decorating By samp0036 Updated 20 Feb 2010 , 12:55am by nicoles0419

samp0036 Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 4:20am
post #1 of 13

So, I attempted to try my cake tonight. the actual cake was yummy!! I did as you all suggested with the cake mix and it made it a very good density. This was my first time with the fondant and i had plenty of problems, i can say that!! Haha. First off, I got a little pack of Wilton's fondant (I know it doesn't taste good, but i thought I would practice with it).. It seemed like it got real dry and almost to the point of breaking real fast. I actually had a couple of tears. Is it something I did? I put powdered sugar down when I was rolling, did I use too much?? Another problem, what do you all use to get the powder off the fondant once its rolled or cut? I just gave up on that. And my other problem, was when I was putting the white fondant on my cake, I could not get it smooth on the sides. It was very hard to do. I guess this is what I expected though, having ZERO experience with fondant!! Heres a picture, dont laugh!!!!
LL

12 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 4:27am
post #2 of 13

It looks great! The colors are really good together and you did a fantastic job of camouflaging any problems with getting the sides smooth.

You can use cornstarch instead of powdered sugar to roll it out on, to keep it from drying out so fast. You can also use crisco.

To get the sugar or cornstarch off decorations, paint them with a little bit of vodka or brush them with a dry paintbrush. Some people steam them...I haven't tried that yet.

dstbni Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 4:29am
post #3 of 13

It looks very smooth in the picture! I've had good luck with Wilton fondant if I use shortening instead of powdered sugar. It relieves the stickiness without drying the fondant out too much. Hope that helps. Stick with it, you did a great job!

samp0036 Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 5:28am
post #4 of 13

thank you so much you all!!! I will definitely keep trying to see if it gets any better or easier for me. How do you steam them like you said???? .. and i hope that when I wake up in the morning, everything is still in place!! I have read some posts where people's fondant just slide right off! haha. hope that doesnt happen!

Texas_Rose Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 5:30am
post #5 of 13

They use a clothes steamer, something like this: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?sourceid=navclient&rlz=1T4GGLL_enUS349US349&q=clothes+steamer&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=16741914023127507056&ei=qiF-S6O3LpOXtge476CUDw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CCsQ8wIwAw#ps-sellers

I haven't tried it because we have really hard water here and it often leaves a white film on pans and stuff, so I'm afraid it would do that to cake. Also, I roll my fondant on vinyl and don't need to use much cornstarch to keep it from sticking icon_biggrin.gif

katies_cakes Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 1:01pm
post #6 of 13

You have done a really good job with it being your first fondant cake. i had the same kind of problems when i first started using fondant, but practice makes perfect and you soon get the hang of it! to get any left over powdered sugar off the surface of my cakes i paint on a little vodka with a small paintbrush, but you dont need much. and leave it to dry. to get the sides smooth i use a cake smoother tool. (available from any cake decorating shop) it takes some time and paitence to do when your learning but the effect is definatley worth it! x

JGMB Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 1:06pm
post #7 of 13

First of all, welcome to CC!!! Your cake looks wonderful to me -- I would never have guessed that it was your first. I'm looking forward to your next one, so be sure to post it! thumbs_up.gif

cakesrock Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 2:51pm
post #8 of 13

It looks a lot better than my first cake! At least it's round and smooth- good job!

JustToEatCake Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 3:19pm
post #9 of 13

I use shortening instead of PS too. What you can do that helps sometimes is go to the fabric store and buy a piece of clear vinyl, then you can roll your fondant on it and pick up the vinyl and the fondant place it over your cake and then peel off the vinyl. Make sure you put shortening on the vinyl first though. I find that way easier. I just had a lot of problems picking it up. Another tip is to raise your cake so that the fondant actually hangs down below the cake, cut of the excess then smooth.

Elcee Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 11:47pm
post #10 of 13

Now why would anyone laugh? It is very pretty and one would ever guess it is your very first!

sugarMomma Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 12:08am
post #11 of 13

Great job! The rope border is perfect! I still have a hard time rolling those evenly...

and I use shortening too for rolling fondant. PS and cornstarch can dry it out faster, causing cracks.

ladyellam Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 12:26am
post #12 of 13

I think you did a fantastic job! Your rope border is perfect. Way better than my first fondant cake! I use cornstarch when I roll out my fondant--just works better for me.

I use a clothes steamer and it really does a great job of taking the rest of the cornstarch away.

Again, your cake looks great!

nicoles0419 Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 12:55am
post #13 of 13

that cake looks great icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%