Making Sugarshack Recipe With Crisco?

Baking By bostonterrierlady Updated 19 Feb 2010 , 5:26am by JanH

bostonterrierlady Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 4:14am
post #1 of 8

Has anyone done this with sucess?

7 replies
Kellbella Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 4:28am
post #2 of 8

No and dont waste your time and ingredients either...for best results you need to follow her recipe to the "T" thumbs_up.gif

Jaimelt76 Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 4:35am
post #3 of 8

I make her recipe with half crisco half butter and it comes out perfect everytime. I am a hobby baker and can't see spending the money on shipping for high ratio shortening and I have no place around me that sells it.

sew4children Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 4:40am
post #4 of 8

I have made four or five batches of her icing and every time I made it with Crisco (sticks). It has always turned out beautifully.

milkmaid42 Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 4:41am
post #5 of 8

When I first made her recipe I made sure to use the hi ratio. It was good and I was very happy with the result. But I can ill afford to pay the shipping, much less the initial cost, so have subsequently been using regular shortening from the grocery. I haven't used Crisco since the re-formulation removing the trans fats, but still have been able, (so far) to find house brands that do contain them. Quite frankly, I am still just as pleased with the results. This is just my opinion, and I am very satisfied.

sugarMomma Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 4:45am
post #6 of 8

I recently made it with half store brand shortening, not Crisco, and half butter. It came out thinner than I wanted so don't use as much liquid to start. You can always add more later. Also I would have my liquid fairly warm, but not piping hot. I think that melted my butter and contributed to the thinning of the icing. That is, if you use any butter. If you use all shortening it may not matter.

tenleysmommy Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 4:45am
post #7 of 8

I used to make her recipe with store brand and then I bought some Sweetex and it made the biggest difference.To me,even as a hobby baker,it is worth the expense.It has a smoother,richer taste and much less grittiness.You can buy a 12 lb tub at Globalsugarart.com if you dont need the 50lb block.HTH
Edited to add that I use half butter/half sweetex.

JanH Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 5:26am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarMomma

I recently made it with half store brand shortening, not Crisco, and half butter. It came out thinner than I wanted so don't use as much liquid to start. You can always add more later..

Hi-ratio and AP shortening both have a bland flavor, so there's no flavor difference...

Hi-ratio is used in SugarShack's recipe because it offers distinct performance advantages over Crisco or other AP shortenings.

One of the performance advantages is that hi-ratio can absorb more liquid than AP shortening without breaking down.

Additionally, when substituting hi-ratio in an AP recipe, you can use 2/3 cup of hi-ratio for every 1 cup of AP.

The other added performance advantages are a smoother b/c and no greasy mouth feel - ever .

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%