Elmo Help Pls

Decorating By sugar-2 Updated 1 Mar 2010 , 2:09am by JAYSUNE

sugar-2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugar-2 Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 2:31am
post #1 of 14

Just wondering if anyone can help me......i've seen Elmo (rkt) popping out of a gift box cake, just not sure how to make the fondant look like it's ripping open as per picture, any suggestions? thanks so much
LL
LL

13 replies
jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 2:46pm
post #2 of 14

looks to me like that is a double layer of fondant then cut from the center and the fondant drawn bak to resemble the ripping. You might want to PM the artist and ask for further instructions though.

sugar-2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugar-2 Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 10:18pm
post #3 of 14

thanks for the only replyicon_smile.gif much appreciated!!

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 10:38pm
post #4 of 14

I agree, it has to be thick enough to hold its shape, I think if you make it too thin it is going to smush. Good luck, hope someone can help you a lil better

TeriO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TeriO Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 11:08pm
post #5 of 14

I made a cake kind of like this one and instead of pealling the fondant back, I made seperate pieces the same color of the fondant and just glued them around the elmo and rolled them over. I hope this makes sense.

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 11:10pm
post #6 of 14

it looks like maybe the covered witht eh yellow then cut it back and the green was added later? Thats the only way i can figure they did it without getting buttercream on the fondant

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 5:29am
post #7 of 14

Someone recently posted a tutorial on that very thing, but I can't find it right now. She showed the two-tone and everything. I'll keep searching - but it's on here somewhere!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 5:42am
post #8 of 14

I cut triangles and stuck them in around elmo, but if I did it again I think I would cut a hole to stick him into and have it peeling back more...look at mine and see what i mean..........
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1558107

cags31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cags31 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 10:59am
post #9 of 14

I only just stumbled across your question, would have been happy to help if you had asked me.
icon_biggrin.gif
The design comes from the Planet Cake book. What i did was cut out 2 circles of the green colour and placed them in the middle of the cake on top of each other. Brush the top circle with syrup. I then covered the cake in yellow fondant. You can see the outline of the circle underneath, i then cut lines through the circle like a pizza, don't cut to deep you only want to cut through the yellow fondant and one layer of green. Then i peeled them back to create the explosion.
Hope that makes sense.

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 11:29am
post #10 of 14

Cags31 - your cake is gorgeous and I'm inspired to try to recreate it for my youngest's birthday (with due credit, of course)!!

cags31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cags31 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 12:59am
post #11 of 14

thanks tsal - feel free to ask any questions if you need any help. I'm sure yours will look great too. icon_smile.gif

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 1:16am
post #12 of 14

Great!! His birthday isn't until the fall, so I've got some time (I also ordered the Planet Cake book that you got the instructions from).

T

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 2:21am
post #13 of 14

Nah on second thought I think my Elmo looks great, would not change a thing icon_smile.gif

JAYSUNE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%