Lines (Music Sheet Lines)

Decorating By dalis4joe Updated 19 Feb 2010 , 8:45am by dalis4joe

dalis4joe Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 11:43pm
post #1 of 12

HI...

I want to make music sheet lines on the side of the cake.... how/what do I do/use to make them? I want thin lines straight all around so I can put music notes on top of the lines....

I know fondant will work, but how do I get it to go around the middle straight all around?

HELP?! I'm clueless...

I want it like the cake you see here... but the lines straight like the music sheet pic you see...

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
LL
LL

11 replies
MrsPound Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 11:59pm
post #2 of 12

honestly, it will take a good eye and some practice. i would use a ruler and mark (maybe a tiny prick with a toothpick) all the way around your cake to know where the top, bottom, or both needs to be. I never have any help with my amateur cakes. good luck though.

oh and fondant would be nice if you wanted them thick, but for traditional, maybe royal icing so it dries a little harder, you can get a finer line, and make it easier to put notes on it. icon_biggrin.gif

icer101 Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 12:11am
post #3 of 12

patchwork cutters has these music lines,etc. and the dancing couple has the notes,etc. hth

Price Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 12:19am
post #4 of 12

I've never done it, but if I was going to try, I think I would take a sheet of craft foam and cut it to the height I wanted my top line to be, then I would carefully tape it around the cake. I would use the top of the foam as my guide to place the top line. (The foam should be thick enough to help support your thin fondant rope as you attach it.) Once I had the top line on, I would remove the foam from the side of the cake and I would cut my foam down the the height I wanted my middle line to be, again place the foam around the side of the cake and then repeat the process. Like I said, I've never tried it, but just thinking about it, seems like it should work.

diane706 Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 12:28am
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalis4joe

I want to make music sheet lines on the side of the cake.... how/what do I do/use to make them?

This is what they probably used for the musical staff. It's a garlic mincer. It's one of my favorite fondant tools!
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://ecx.images-amazon.com/dp/B00004VWTP/?tag=cakecentral-20:&tbnh=114&tbnw=114&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dherb%2Bmincer%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-USicon_surprised.giffficial%26sa%3DN%26um%3D

I made a similar cake but used my fondant extruder with a round insert for the staff. http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1542103

Hope that helps!

dalis4joe Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 12:57am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane706

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalis4joe

I want to make music sheet lines on the side of the cake.... how/what do I do/use to make them?

This is what they probably used for the musical staff. It's a garlic mincer. It's one of my favorite fondant tools!
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://ecx.images-amazon.com/dp/B00004VWTP/?tag=cakecentral-20:&tbnh=114&tbnw=114&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dherb%2Bmincer%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-USicon_surprised.giffficial%26sa%3DN%26um%3D

I made a similar cake but used my fondant extruder with a round insert for the staff. http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1542103

Hope that helps!

Hi.... OH MY GWAD!!! I have that mincer!!!
But I looked at your cake.... I LOVE IT!!! That's how thin I want the lines.... I have a polymer clay extruder... and I think I can use it like u said... but the problem is how to get the lines straight????

What Price said makes sence.. but what kind of foam? like packaging foam?

I gotta think of what to use to put against the cake to hold the line straight....

I also have UG/Unbreakable gel... and sugar vail... would that be flexible enough that I can dry it on a flat surface and then mold/place around the cake?

THIS IS WHY I LOVE THIS PLACE.... you guys are awesome!!

msulli10 Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 1:19am
post #7 of 12

What if you made a template out of paper (something flexible) and then using some sort of tool mark the lines on your fondant. Then you would have the indentations on your cake so then you would have a guide to help you keep the black fondant straight and even. Does that make sense?

I've seen people use the blue painting tape on fondant - you know the edging tape you put on your walls when you need a straight line. It not very sticky and it comes off clean from your fondant. (won't work with buttercream).

Good luck.

Price Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 1:19am
post #8 of 12

No, not packing foam. I mean like the kids use for crafts. You can buy it by the sheet. It comes in bright colors. I just got a piece a Michaels today. It was called fun foam. It was a 12/18 sheet for .99. It is about 1/4" thick, soft and flexible. I'm thinking it will be just thick enough that you could rest your fondant string on it while you are attaching it to the side of the cake.

dalis4joe Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 2:19am
post #9 of 12

Ooohhh Price... I think I know.... the one they use to make sun visors and stuff? I have an idea now.... as for the blue tape.... I have seen it done with it... humm I have construction paper here... I could make like a 3 ply sheet and roll it around the cake.. tape it... then pipe the line on top with the extruder.... might work?

Me being cheap... had ordered the notes and stencil... then thought I was good enough to do it free hand so I removed it from my cart.... just finished hand cutting the music notes.... a lot of work... and now all this for not ordering a 9$ thing!!! lol

Price Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 2:37am
post #10 of 12

LOL, I've done the same thing. I've had something in my cart, taken it out and then wished I had it. Yes, the foam they make visors out of. You've got exactly what I was meaning. The construction paper would work just as well as the foam if you put a few pieces together to make it a little thicker. I was just thinking of the foam because it is so soft and I thought it might be a little less likely to mark the side of the cake.

sheilabelle Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 2:46am
post #11 of 12

I have read on here where a decorator used a laser level. I want to get one for writing on the sides of cakes.

dalis4joe Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 8:45am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilabelle

I have read on here where a decorator used a laser level. I want to get one for writing on the sides of cakes.

that sounds neat! that might be something worth investing on....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%