$200 Power Bill!!?

Decorating By Mug-a-Bug Updated 20 Feb 2010 , 4:18am by Ruth0209

Mug-a-Bug Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 58

I made a lot of cakes last month, including a 5 tiered monster! I bank online and got my energy bill - it was over $200!! And we were out of town for 10 days last month. (I should say also that I live in a 2 bdrm condo). All I could think is it was from having the oven on so much. Anyone else experience this? icon_cry.gif

57 replies
prterrell Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 10:11pm
post #2 of 58

Did you turn your thermostat down while you were OOT?

pattycakesnj Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 10:22pm
post #3 of 58

gas or electric oven? Usually gas is cheaper so if you have an electric oven, that may be why. Do you live in a cold climate? We are having a bitterly cold winter and our bills are 3x yours and I don't bake from home

jenng1482 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 10:26pm
post #4 of 58

There are calculators on line that you can use to determine how much it costs on average to run your oven. You plug in the size of your appliance and how much you use them. My oven costs me on average $.59 per hour to run. Useful when calculating production costs!

patticakesnc Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 10:47pm
post #5 of 58

Ours was $374 last month and $354 this month. There has been things all over the news about people with $500-$800 power bills the past couple months due to the extreme cold weather. I know ours for the previous month was $145.

It makes NO sense to me. I know it is colder but come on...we have two fireplaces (wood) that we were burning. Our house is 3200 sq ft but still.

Eisskween Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 10:55pm
post #6 of 58

Everything in our house is electric, so if I got a bill for $200 at this time of year, I would be dancing. LOL Mine is like Patticakes, but I'm in Canada, so it's to be expected.

It's really that cold in NC? Whatever happened to global warming? ::ducks::

TexasSugar Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 10:59pm
post #7 of 58

Where are you located? Has it been colder than usual there? I know here, we have had colder than normal days and have had to run our heat alot more than we have in the past.

leah_s Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 11:02pm
post #8 of 58

$200? CHEAP!!

peg818 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 11:07pm
post #9 of 58

well, my electric bill runs 200 plus all year. And our heat and hot water doesn't run on electric. The highest bill i have ever had was 330 for a summer month a couple of years ago when the boys decided that when i was at work they wanted the house temp to be about 58 well after i freaked out on them and told them that if it ever happens again, they will be paying the bill. And to date it hasnt happened.

Kiddiekakes Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 11:13pm
post #10 of 58

Yeah..$200.00 is cheap..Mine is about $350.00 every month.

karenm0712 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 11:22pm
post #11 of 58

I would LOVE to have a $200 bill! Mine is between $300 & $400 a month right now. I will switch you! icon_biggrin.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 11:41pm
post #12 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenm0712

I would LOVE to have a $200 bill! Mine is between $300 & $400 a month right now. I will switch you! icon_biggrin.gif

Me too!!! $400! icon_mad.gif

didavista Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 11:47pm
post #13 of 58

my all electric house is running about $550 a month. icon_cry.gif Actually that's about normal.

Spuddysmom Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 11:55pm
post #14 of 58

Yes, um, can we trade power bills cuz yours sounds sooo low to me!

Deb_ Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 12:05am
post #15 of 58

How much is your bill usually? Maybe they've been "estimating" the prior months and this one was an "actual read".

I have electric appliances, a well for our water and outside landscape lights so I'd welcome a $200 electric bill, we run almost double that.

AngelaM Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 12:07am
post #16 of 58

I'd be happy as a pig in mud to have a $200 electric bill!

Price Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 12:13am
post #17 of 58

My electric bill is always over $200 and we heat with oil!

heavenlys Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 12:30am
post #18 of 58

I'll trade you!! The bakery runs 800 in the winter 1000 in the summer. I would love to see 200. icon_lol.gif

sadsmile Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 12:49am
post #19 of 58

My mom lives in an apartment building and her bill generally runs less then $100.00 so i know where you are coming from. But my personal bill averages $300.00 a month, but because it is cool we aren't running the AC and have the heat on like 72°F so our bill last month was $138.00 and this month is $165.00 I am jumping for joy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But I know summer is coming and it costs more to cool then it does to slightly warm the air here in FL.

Texas_Rose Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 1:18am
post #20 of 58

The power company here was saying that rates were going to be higher than usual this winter...I don't know if that's the case everywhere. Usually in the winter my electric bill is about $80 (and $300 in summer). This winter my electric bill has been $125, but they tore some of the walls apart to get to a plumbing problem and didn't put them back together well so there's a cold wind blowing right through my kitchen cupboards. I know if I turn the heater off the temperature in my apartment will fall 15 degrees within an hour.

The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 1:19am
post #21 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb_

How much is your bill usually? Maybe they've been "estimating" the prior months and this one was an "actual read".

My day job is in Real Estate, and we had a rental this happened on. The bill was already running $150 which is way too much for as small of a unit as it is, but the renter there is abusing the "all bills paid" anyway, this month it was $330!!! I called and asked if there was a mistake and they said, "no this is back payment from last month when we had to average the bill"!! WTHeck, Its not my fault they were too lazy to do an actual read. So Call your electric company, this sounds like it could be a possibility in your situation. I've recently done a lot more cakes, and haven't seen a significant rise in my bill. HTH

costumeczar Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 1:49am
post #22 of 58

Mine jumped about $100 more than it usually is for the past two months, but it's just the winter and having to heat the house. They print the amount of electricity we used this month and every month for the past year, and it was a comparable amount this Jan and Jan 2009. Same for December...I'm sure that I also yelled 'Holy [email protected]!" when I opened the bill last year at this time, too! icon_lol.gif If it was the oven going that made it higher it would be a lot higher during the summer, but it drops a lot then compared to the winter.

Texas_Rose Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 2:04am
post #23 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyCakes09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb_

My day job is in Real Estate, and we had a rental this happened on. The bill was already running $150 which is way too much for as small of a unit as it is, but the renter there is abusing the "all bills paid" anyway, this month it was $330!!! I called and asked if there was a mistake and they said, "no this is back payment from last month when we had to average the bill"!! WTHeck, Its not my fault they were too lazy to do an actual read. So Call your electric company, this sounds like it could be a possibility in your situation. I've recently done a lot more cakes, and haven't seen a significant rise in my bill. HTH

Usually it will say on your bill if it is read or estimated. On my bill it has a long number which is the number on the meter, followed by either (r) or (e).

I've heard of it happening to people too and the electric company won't do anything about it except say that the bill will be lower the next month if they estimated too much.

JustToEatCake Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 4:19am
post #24 of 58

I had the lowest electric bill (all appliances) that I've ever had but I'm not a bakery and there is only two of us and I LOVE to keep it cold in here. I turn the heat down to 58 at nite. DF hates it and always has his electric blanket even in the living room...haha..anyway my bill was 69.00 BUT this summer it will be about twice that.

indydebi Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 4:26am
post #25 of 58

I'm with the others who are asking, "What's normal?" We have no idea how to view a $200 bill w/o something to compare it to.

Gosh, I get so frustrated with my friends who like to talk about their doctor visits and they'll tell me their blood count, white cell count, sugar levels, etc. I'm not a doctor. I have none of those problems. I have no idea whether to applaud because they are in great health, or hug them becuase they are about to die! icon_rolleyes.gif

So I always ..... ALWAYS .... have to ask them, "What does that mean? What's normal? Is that good news or bad news?" icon_confused.gif

Goodness, at least give me a reference point!

mamawrobin Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 4:34am
post #26 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaM

I'd be happy as a pig in mud to have a $200 electric bill!

Yep, me too..

milmil95 Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 4:47am
post #27 of 58

So I could avoid the bill going up and down wildly I placed my house on the budget plan. The electric company takes an average of the last 6 months of usage costs then that is what you pay for the next 6 months until they re-calculate. It definitely helps me with my budget and I get notified when it's going up. Some months I will use more that what my budget payment in and the balance carries over and other months I will use hardly any and still pay my budget amount, which will bring down the carry over from previous months.
The only time it will become an issue is when you decide to terminate service because you are moving. Then you have to pay the balance in full.

This plan has definitely been a lifesaver for me. See if your electric company has a program like mine does.

Mrs-A Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 4:49am
post #28 of 58

i havent seen a household bill in a decade so i had to phone hubby to ask and he says our electricity bill is about $130 per month - we very very rarely ever use our aircon/heater, yes it does get cold down here/we do have a winter but it has to be about 110F before we put the aircon on and almost freezing before the heat - we obviously have no children so prefer to dress for the weather instead of using appliances

we currently looking into installing solar power panels and feeding the excess back into the grid so we can be paid by the electricity companies icon_smile.gif

littlejewel Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 4:57am
post #29 of 58

wow Ican't believe some home heating bills are so high. Our gas was running 300 until we started calling are readings in. Now it is less than $100, but I'm a hobby baker.

noahsmummy Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 5:23am
post #30 of 58

well, i have an arrangement to have money taken directly from my account each pay, so i dont get a huge shock. Yet my elec. bills are still quite high. something about me having an older style water heater... which there is nopthing i can do about. =( i never use my air con or heater simply because i cant afford it.. just put some clothes on or take them off! lol.. or reatreat to the shops in air con in summer. =)

but i also know that here the elec. companies have put up power prices... I would say call the compnay and ask them about the bill, thats what i did.. and was how i found out about my water heater thing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%