Question About Quarter Sheet Pans

Decorating By AngelaM Updated 19 Feb 2010 , 5:30am by leah_s

AngelaM Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 9:43pm
post #1 of 6

I never do sheet cakes, but I have a request for one so I'm going to get the nice Magic Line pan(s). My question is, for a 1/4 sheet cake, do you usually bake one cake and torte it, or do you usually make a 2-layer cake? If I would be doing 2 separate layers then I would buy the 2" deep pans, but if I could get away with making a 3" deep cake and torting it then I would go that way.

What do you think?

5 replies
alene Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 12:38am
post #2 of 6

Seems like sheet cakes is all I ever do. Normally I will torte and fill the sheet cake instead of stacking two cakes. That would be a lot of cake.

The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 12:57am
post #3 of 6

A true sheet cake is not usually torted from what I understand. Its just a 2" high cake and iced.

sweetcakes Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 5:04am
post #4 of 6

i bake my sheet cakes in 3" pans, they bake up at about 2.25", then i torte and fill. unless the customer does not want a fillings. but i prefer to fill. adds height and it makes for a nicer looking cut.

Rebealuvsweets Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 5:08am
post #5 of 6

I have not did a 1/4 sheet in along time. But, I think I used to make it 2 inches tall and torte and fill. It will give it a good height...

leah_s Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 5:30am
post #6 of 6

Sheet cakes seem to vary by the part of the country/city you're in. Around here, sheet cakes are not torted. They're just a hunk of cake with icing on top.

Otherwise its a layer cake that happens to be a rectangle.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%