How Am I Running My Business? Opinions Please!

Business By Dreme Updated 19 Feb 2010 , 10:53pm by Adevag

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 9:27pm
post #1 of 11

I just finished getting everything I need to launch my home based bakery. Got my license, trademark, taxes, etc all ready. Im ready to go but I want to be successful, so before I start advertising I want to make sure everything is ok. Its just me doing this so im trying to make sure I cover everything. I need to know, am I doing ok?

Somethings im not sure how to handle:

1. I work part time Wed-Sat 8am-1pm most days at another shop in town. I do not own my own car (that is part of what the business will be helping out) and we only have one at the house. What is the best way to handle pick-ups and deliveries? Not sure If I should even deliver anything but wedding cakes.

2. Online order forms: Good or bad? How is my custom order page? would it be better if it were a form that you can fill out?

3. Home bakers: How do you accept payments? When? I will be using paypal through quickbooks. Anybody else do this?

4. How is my pricing? Besides mini cakes (which im taking off the site), how is everything else? Should everything be per serving?

5. Since im just starting out I figure I might take clients who may not want or pay for the type of work that I want to get. My goal is to eventually do more elaborate couture work and to work with using swavorski crystals. How do I price for basic cakes? Do I need a new price for the type of work I want to get? Right now I price by adding the artwork to the cake. I know brides may want to know a figure upfront. I wont know until I design the cake and get back to them. Is that ok?

6. For decorators that draw out your cakes: How do you get clients to go for what and how you design? I want to make it where im designing a cake for the client not the client designing the cake, or picking someone elses design. I want to be represented for my signature style.

7. Is my site easy to understand and navigate?

8. If you clicked a social link, from which page was it? Did you look at any other page? Did you return to the site?

9. If you were a customer, based on the site, would you want to make an order? What would be your prefered method for placing an order?

That is all I can think of for now. If anything is wrong with my site or how Im doing things in general please let me know. Criticism is ok. Any input or opinions are appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

10 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 9:29pm
post #2 of 11

Insurance?

Dreme Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 9:37pm
post #3 of 11

got it covered

TitiaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TitiaM Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 6:04am
post #4 of 11

Your site looks great! Very easy to get around, great cake pictures.

Your prices seem low to me--but I don't know about your area.

My feeling is that if you have upscale cakes, then you should have upscale pricing--as long as its something there is a market for in your area. I think it's harder to raise your prices later after you have established customers, than before you actually start. Just my opinion..... icon_biggrin.gif

Titia

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 7:13am
post #5 of 11

LOVE your FB page. I'm a fan in more ways than one. LOL Best of luck,

DecorateMe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecorateMe Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 1:01pm
post #6 of 11

I love your site. The colours and cakes are very appealing.
One thing that bothered me was that the page was off-centre and I had to scroll at the bottom to center it - KWIM?

EatSomeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EatSomeCake Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 3:36pm
post #7 of 11

yes, I also agree that the colors and layout are very appealing. You do beautiful work and I would say increase your bc and fondant prices by at least a $1 or $2, otherwise you will eventually start to resent all aspects of the cake business. It's hard to change prices drastically on people esp. once they are accustomed to getting cakes from you.

I only have one suggestion and that is to change the welcome section to:

Dreme is owned and operated by Tishre Hunter

not:

Dreme is owned and operated by me, Tishre Hunter

Best of luck with your endeavors, looks like you're off to a great start!

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 3:50pm
post #8 of 11

My thoughts -

1. Does your state/city/county allow for customers to come to your home? Mine does not, so I deliver all of them. If they do allow, than have set times when they can pick them up. Either a specific time or range (12-3) when you know you'll be home working on stuff.

2. If you can make a form a would & make all the fields requirements. This way people know they will have to submit all the information and it can help cut down on "I need a cake. How much will it be?" emails.

3. I do cash, check, money orders. I offer paypal, but no ones has ever really done it.

4. Can't help you here - you need to look at your target market, competitors, costs, etc...

5. If you want to be a high-end caker, then why wait? Let that be your target audience off the bat, but if you want to lure more customers than have a 'budget' cake line. Where the cakes are very basic/simple and lower-priced.
I'm a flat figure gal. I hate math and trying figure out pricing for everything. however, having said that, I do have an additional fee for gumpaste/fondant work and some more eleborant work. For the most part 90% of design elements are included in the price.

6. I don't want to fully design a cake I want to work WITH the customer to design the cake. It's a collaboration. Also, no two cakes are ever the same. You will also have a signature touch to a cake.

Dreme Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 7:04pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks everyone for your comments and help! Working on changing some things.

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 7:25pm
post #10 of 11

I think your website looks great! My only little suggestion would be to use a different colored font. The white just seems bright against the brown and makes it a little hard to read. Maybe an ivory color would be easier to read.

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 10:53pm
post #11 of 11

I love your site. Great first impression. I got a very artistic feel, which matches your name well. I think you did good with your pricing and describing what is included in the basic price. People will understand what they are getting and also what will be considered elaborate designs. Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%