Baking In Stainless Steel Bowls

Decorating By bridge72 Updated 19 Feb 2010 , 7:26am by bridge72

bridge72 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 6:22pm
post #1 of 6

Hi fellow CCer's. I am new to cake baking and would graciously appreciate some help with baking. Please forgive me if there has already been a thread on this subject icon_redface.gif I was wondering can I bake in my stainless steel mixing bowl? If so, are there any special things I have to do for it to work? Thanking you all in advance....

5 replies
alene Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 12:48am
post #2 of 6

Yes, you can bake in stainless steel bowl or even a pyrex glass bowl. I've done both. Don't know of any special thing you would have to do. Just treat it like you would a cake pan. It probably will take longer to bake since it is deeper so I'd set the temp to 325 instead of 350. Good Luck

sadsmile Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 12:53am
post #3 of 6

Yes I baked in mine and treated it just like any other pan but I only filled it as much as I would an 8" pan- anymore and you may wind up with issues of underdone cake in the middle and overcooked edges.
It gives the effect of a contour pan and is very nice. Be sure to use a small cake board to help you flip it out of there and then turn it back upright to cool. Then once cool you can turn it upside down and trim the hump off so you can stack it on top of another regular 8" layer.

djs328 Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 12:53am
post #4 of 6

If you have a flower nail (or better yet, a baking core) you can put that sticking up in the bottom of the bowl before you pour the batter in. (Make sure you spray it well first, just like you would the bowl) It will help the center cook a little better for you!

Good luck!

bridge72 Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 7:21am
post #5 of 6

Thanks everyone for the great tips. I thought I might have problems with the center being underbaked...I will lower the temp and I also have a couple of flower nails and a heating core, that I bought years ago and never used icon_redface.gif Thanks again...I love that people are so helpful! If it works out I am going to try my hand at a pregnant belly cake with pics to post if it's not a flop lol!

bridge72 Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 7:26am
post #6 of 6

BTW, all of your cakes are fabulous....I aspire to be able to post beautiful cakes like the ones you all have posted icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%