Any Advice On Cake Dummies

Decorating By blueeyes6077 Updated 19 Feb 2010 , 1:44pm by blueeyes6077

blueeyes6077 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blueeyes6077 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 5:03pm
post #1 of 7

I just got my first Cake Dummies to practice on. I'm going to use Satin Ice Fondant to cover them. Any advice you can give me on covering the dummies would be great. I'm assuming I have to wet the dummies slightly to get the fondant to stick? icon_redface.gif Thanks!!!

6 replies
ZoesMum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZoesMum Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 5:28pm
post #2 of 7

Hey there! I've only worked with them once, but I learned to make sure that the edges are not sharp...sand them down in order to round them out a bit. Wet them, and then make sure you have some way of keeping them from moving around quite so much. I just used a silicon mat, but it you search the threads there are a lot of other ingenious solutions out there. Have fun!

blueeyes6077 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks. How do I search for similar posts without having to look at each one individually until I find the subject I'm looking for? icon_redface.gif

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 5:50pm
post #4 of 7

Hi, as blueeyes6077 said, sand the corners, and the sides depending on the shape of your dummy.
If you are planning to use the dummy again for more practices, then I suggest wrapping the dummy in saran wrap, cover the wrapped dummy with a thin layer piping gel (it is not expensive and you can find it in Hobby Lobby, Michael's, or any cake and craft store) or you can use a thin layer of buttercream. This layer helps the fondant to stick to your covered dummy.
To prevent dummy from moving, simply put a small dollop of icing on a board and sit the covered dummy on it, push on it slightly.
Good luck...

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 9:34pm
post #5 of 7

Definitely soften the edges of the dummy by sanding it (I use an emery board or fine grit sand paper) so that the fondant doesn't tear.

No need to cover the dummy--even if you want to re-use it--or use anything sticky to get the fondant to stick.

You can lightly mist the dummy with water or massage it with crisco. Crisco is my personal favorite because you can adjust the fondant easily and if you have to re-roll for some reason, the fondan't won't be sticky.

As for cleaning off the dummies to re-use them, you can put them in the dishwasher with air dry (no soap necessary) and they come out clean as a whistle. If the dummy is too large, you can put it in a garbage bag in a trash can filled with water and let the fondant soak off. Neither method damages the dummy and you're ready to go again.

Also, SI is a wonderful product, but can be pricey for covering dummies. I'd suggest using Wilton (bought with a coupon) to save $. It's great stuff for working with on dummies.

Have fun!
Rae

ZoesMum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZoesMum Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 1:41am
post #6 of 7

Lots of good suggestions above...with regards to searching for other threads, the best way is to use Google (or something similar), and type what you are looking for with www.cakecentral.com after it, i.e. -- covering dummy www.cakecentral.com --. Also, when you get the results click on the -- More results from cakecentral.com -- link to see everything from CC. Good luck!

blueeyes6077 Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 1:44pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone for the advice! It has been very helpful. I'm hoping to get started this weekend. I love this site!!!!! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%