How Do I Get A Glossy Finish On Fondant?

Decorating By kweenofengland Updated 19 Feb 2010 , 3:39pm by kweenofengland

kweenofengland Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 7

I have to make a cell phone cake tomorro night and the customer requested a dark blue cell phone with zebra print with a sheen finish! I think I can do everything, but the sheen finish. Seems like someone once told me she used clear vanilla and painted it on the fondant for a shiny finish. Is this true? any help is very much appreciated!

6 replies
CC22504 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 7

Piping gel thinned down with clear vanilla or almond. Water works too.

cakewhiz Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 2:05am
post #3 of 7

This has always worked perfectly for me. Mix 50% vodka and 50% corn syrup. Paint directly onto fondant object. It will be sticky to the touch at first, but after 24 hours, it dries to a shiny finish.

cakewhiz Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 2:10am
post #4 of 7

This has always worked perfectly for me. Mix 50% vodka and 50% corn syrup. Paint directly onto fondant object. It will be sticky to the touch at first, but after 24 hours, it dries to a shiny finish.

tmgarcia_98 Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 2:18am
post #5 of 7

I spray a little bit of PAM cooking spray on a plate, then brush it on with a paint brush.

sugarMomma Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 2:26am
post #6 of 7

Use a steam iron on it and "steam" it. Makes it really glossy without having to paint on it and risk colors bleeding or showing brush strokes.

kweenofengland Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 3:39pm
post #7 of 7

all very interesting ideas and all very different! thanks! I don't have a steam iron so i guess trying that is out. Does anyone have a picture of something they have done like this?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%