First Time Doing Candy Molds...suggestions

Sugar Work By fieldcow Updated 22 Feb 2010 , 12:36am by pj22

fieldcow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fieldcow Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 2:15pm
post #1 of 7

hello,
i am making the wilton little mermaid candy plaque and seashell molds for a bridal shower this weekend. Not having done this before...I was just wondering if there were any tips I need to know? Such as do i coat the molds w/grease or spray?

thanks for any tips,
becky

6 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 2:26pm
post #2 of 7

Don't coat the molds with anything or you will ruin them.If anything wash them really good with warm water and soap and let airdry after each use.Brush or pipe in the small areas first like eyes or anything recessed..let stand in the fridge a bit to harden before adding the main color.Once they have hardened for about 20 minutes.lightly pop them out.You can tap the mold on the counter or slightly bend it if it sticks.

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 2:48pm
post #3 of 7

I also try to tap the mold on the counter to get any air bubbles out. You will see them come to the surface and pop. If they don't pop with tapping, use a toothpick or a skewer to help them along. icon_smile.gif
Also, I melt my chocolate in the disposable pastry bags in a bowl of really hot (but not boiling) water, then once it's melted and ready to go, snip the tip and pipe away!
Good luck!

bltaylo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bltaylo3 Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 9:00pm
post #4 of 7

i am making some candy melt hearts for a cake topper and I love the tip about melting it in the piping bag!!!! Thanks

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 11:21pm
post #5 of 7

You can also reuse the melts if you don't use everything in the bag. Just when you remelt it for later use, make sure no water gets in the bag - keep the open ends up out of the water. Make sense?
Good luck!

pj22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pj22 Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 12:35am
post #6 of 7

Paint Wilton pearl dust with a brush on the shells after you unmold them. I just made a tray of seashells and the pearl dust really added to the look!

pj22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pj22 Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 12:36am
post #7 of 7

Search for "seashells" on this forum... you will get a ton of useful tips and tricks icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%