What Is Your Favorite...

Decorating By chrissypie Updated 18 Feb 2010 , 7:18am by noahsmummy

chrissypie Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 4:01am
post #1 of 15

gum paste recipe/product? For those who use gumpaste for flowers, do you prefer to buy a ready made product or make one? If you prefer home made, do you have a certain recipe that you like? Any tips or advice would be sooooo appreciated! I see so much beautiful work on here and would love to try some of these techniques!

Thanks again

14 replies
Kitagrl Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 4:48am
post #2 of 15

I like the Satin Ice gumpaste pretty well!

chrissypie Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 4:53am
post #3 of 15

Thanks Kitagrl, by the way, your work is gorgeous!

Kitagrl Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 4:57am
post #4 of 15

Aw thanks!

Rylan Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 5:01am
post #5 of 15

I usually just use fondant with tylose added.

Texas_Rose Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 5:07am
post #6 of 15

I use Nicholas Lodge's recipe. http://www.nicholaslodge.com/gumpaste.htm

Kitagrl Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 5:07am
post #7 of 15

Rylan, my brain is in your time zone I think. haha.

The only thing I find is that I feel that even fondant with tylose does not dry as rock solid hard as gumpaste if you need a thinner design or a stronger design...for thicker designs or figures fondant with tylose, I agree, I use it alot....more than gumpaste.

Actually I end up using fondant with tylose when I'm standing there making decorations to put right on the cake....like ears for a 3D dog, or a bow, or anything I need to firm up really quick.

I end up using gumpaste if I actually make decorations days ahead...which I hate doing LOL...and try not to!

pearlydi Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 5:07am
post #8 of 15

I use ready made gumpaste from wilton, works pretty well!

milkmaid42 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 5:11am
post #9 of 15

I like Scott Clark Woolley's recipe, but I am looking forward to trying Nicholas Lodge's. I have heard so many really like it and I want to compare.

Bunsen Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 5:15am
post #10 of 15

I just tried this recipe and it is my favourite by far...

I used CMC. Very easy to work and dried well even though we have had 90% humidity all week!

icer101 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 5:15am
post #11 of 15

i love wiltons premade, not the can that you add water. i LOVE nicholas lodge recipe.. it works so well, dries so fast, it is wonderful! satin ice is too soft for me, but i am not knocking it. we all love what we love. right?scott woolley's is also good, but nick's is my favorite.

Texas_Rose Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 5:18am
post #12 of 15
Originally Posted by icer101

Satin Ice is too soft for me, but i am not knocking it.

I noticed that too...maybe it's a humidity issue?

chrissypie Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 5:30am
post #13 of 15

Thank you all so much! I just found the Nic Lodge recipe. Think I will give it a try. I haven't tried scott clark woolleys cause gum trag is so expensive. I have used premade, but found it sticky and gooey. I appreciate all the advice, I have just thrown out so much useless gum paste lately, I was getting tired of wasting money. Thanks again!

Mensch Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 6:17am
post #14 of 15

I've used Kerry Vincent's recipe for years and love it. Only three ingredients and it doesn't have to rest.

noahsmummy Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 7:18am
post #15 of 15

ive never had any luck with homemade stuff, and pre-made is really hard to find hear.. but that nicholas lodge one looks alright.. maybe ill give that a go...

Quote by @%username% on %date%