High Altitude Adjustment Question

Baking By Elcee Updated 19 Feb 2010 , 2:11am by Elcee

Elcee Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 12:17am
post #1 of 3

Hi! I live at 6300-ish feet above sea level and have adjusted to baking here for the most part. Some recipes seem not to be adaptable, though and most times I just accept that and move on but I recently tried a new recipe for peanut butter cupcakes. I made all the standard adjustments (less leavening, less sugar, more liquid) and they were still dry and heavy. The FLAVOR, though, was so good I'd really like to try again. Any suggestions? I don't think I can post the recipe since it is not my own.

Thanks for any input!

2 replies
mireillea Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 5:32pm
post #2 of 3

Hi Elcee,

I know nothing about baking in high altitude, but Toba Garret says the following in her book:
Above 5000 - 7000 feet:
Reduce each tsp baking powder with 1/8 to 1/4, reduce each cup of sugar with 1/2 to 2 tbsp and add for each cup of liquid 2 to 4 tbsp.
I hope this helps!

Elcee Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 2:11am
post #3 of 3

Thanks, Mireille, I appreciate the reply. That's what I've already done. All that is standard adjustment for high altititude and we do that right off the bat to every recipe, in addition to baking at lower temps and for a slightly shorter time.

Come on, all you chefs, bakers, and culinary school grads out there and no one else has any suggestions? icon_smile.gif Pretty please?

Would it be feasable to try replacing some or all of the butter with oil? I want to avoid adding too much to the recipe because I don't want to dilute the flavor.

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%