Im New!! This Is My First Post And I Have Some Questions !

Decorating By samp0036 Updated 18 Feb 2010 , 4:54am by Odyssey

samp0036 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samp0036 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 11:50pm
post #1 of 9

I have been looking around on this site for a couple of days, and been learning a lot!! I have never made a cake icon_redface.gif , but I am very interested!! I went and bought some things tonight that I was told to use on my very first cake. (fondant, buttercream, a spreader, and just basic stuff) I was wondering though, can i just use a normal box of cake mix to start out on? I know it will probably be a disaster my first time, but i still want to try. any tips?

8 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 11:52pm
post #2 of 9

something really easy that you can do to a box mix to kinda vamp it up, make it more dense and able to withstand fondant is to just add a 4 oz. box of instant pudding mix (dry mix straight from the box) then add all of the normal ingredients the cake mix calls for, you would be shocked at what that little additon can do to the flavor, texture, and stability of the cake mix!

Welcome to CC, prepare to become addicted!

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 12:14am
post #3 of 9

Welcome and have fun!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 12:22am
post #4 of 9

A cake mix will work fine. You can tweek it a little by using milk or buttermilk in place of the water. I'll also do as KH suggested, adding the little box of pudding to the cake mix, though I also add an extra egg. This is refered to as doctoring a cake mix. There are several books that have recipes in them as well as many you can find on the internet.

I'm a little curious on who told you to use fondant on your first cake? For me, when trying something new, it is best to limit how many new things you try at once. That way you can concentrate on each thing, especially since you are learning as you go.

Have you thought about taking any of the Wilton Classes? They are a great source of information and hands on.

Welcome to the site and the world of caking.

rikkijo314 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rikkijo314 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 12:40am
post #5 of 9

I have been doing this for almost a year now and I have found that if you want to work on your decorating skills, buy a couple of styrofoam dummies to work on. And there are awesome recipes for cakes out there, whether you want to make it from scratch or doctor your mix. Good luck! It is a lot of fun!

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 2:14am
post #6 of 9

I find working with dummies harder than real cake. But that's just my opinion.

Box mixes are a great way to begin. We tend to make everything from scratch---except our fondant. We use Fondarific fondant because of the taste. Anyway, after you get comfortable with your baking techniques, you'll find what works for you. If people you make cakes for like boxed mixes, then go for it. If people want something different, then try different scratch recipes. There are tons here and throughout the web.

Welcome! Enjoy! Don't get stressed! And be prepared to become sugar-addicted!!!

Paul

MrsPound Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsPound Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 2:41am
post #7 of 9

I have done 3 cakes now. I use boxed mixes (of a good quality) I also started out using MMF (Marshmellow Fondant) and have been using it ever since. With each cake i use one more new thing, and i take a lot of advice from my fellow (yet more professional) cakers on here.

Its all about having fun- and learning- and eating your mistakes icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gif

samp0036 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samp0036 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 4:50am
post #8 of 9

thanks everyone!!!!! i cant wait to try it !!

Odyssey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Odyssey Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 4:54am
post #9 of 9

This month is my one year anniversary of serious efforts in cake decorating. It depends how much time I have as to what kind of cake I make. Most of the time I just do a box plain, but if I have it I do use the pudding. There is nothing wrong with using a box mix.

I don't know if you've heard of it, but WASC is a very popular recipe here. I haven't made it work yet, but even though it sunk(I covered it with extra icing) it really was a delicious cake.

Just don't freak out too much about the fondant. You kinda have to get a feel for it. It can't be too thin, dry, and if you don't have it the right length before covering the cake you may not have enough to cover or you may have so much that it will rip itself under it's own weight. My first fondant cake ripped, pleated, and cracked. Just cover it with decorations if you can.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%