Couple Of Questions About This Cake

Decorating By MammaG Updated 18 Feb 2010 , 6:10am by FromScratch

MammaG Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 10:56pm
post #1 of 14

I found this cake online, and I want to do something similar, but I have two quick questions:

Do you think the poodle is FBCT or fondant? Also, how do I get that effect that they have on the bottom with the white icing? I've not seen that before. TIA
LL

13 replies
TexasSugar Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 11:07pm
post #2 of 14

Since the poddle is sitting away from the cake and not against it I'd say fondant.

The bottom boarder looks to me like a petal tip piped in a zig zag motion?

traceyjade Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 11:15pm
post #3 of 14

I think the poodle is a chocolate transfer.

TexasSugar Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 11:29pm
post #4 of 14

Could be Tracey, didn't think about that one.

Bfisher2 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 11:30pm
post #5 of 14

The poodle looks like color flow to me......*shrug*....Im with TexasSugar.... thats a petal tip with the thin side pointing out.... zig zag..... you do the same motion for buttercream flowers on top of cuppies....icon_smile.gif

yummycupcake Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 1:47am
post #6 of 14

Yes, I agree. It looks like chocolate transfer and the border with 127 in zigzag motion.

MammaG Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 2:38am
post #7 of 14

What is chocolate transfer, and how do you do it? I wonder if a buttercream would work? I'm not going to have a chance to run to the store. Hmmm

kakeladi Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 2:58am
post #8 of 14

A choco transfer is simply outlining the figure (w/slightly thickened melted choco) then filling in w/melted chocolate. Made much like a colorflow piece is done only using melted chocolate. The advantage of using choco is it dried very, very quickly. It certainly could be a fondant cutout.
I don't see how b'cream would work unless you pipe it directly onto the cake.

Renaejrk Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 3:41am
post #9 of 14

Whether they used chocolate or fondant, you can use whichever you have available icon_smile.gif - you can get those results with either!

MammaG Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 4:31am
post #10 of 14

If I make a FBCT, do you think it would work on the side of the cake (flush against it)? I'm still debating on that or fondant, and I feel like the buttercream transfer will look so much cleaner. I've only placed them on top of the cake - never on the side. It's going to go straight from my refrigerator, on a 10 minute drive to the party, and then it might sit for a while (no more than an hour and a half). What do you all think?

Kitagrl Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 4:46am
post #11 of 14

A buttercream transfer would probably crack while you pressed it against the curve of the cake...?

I think maybe it would be cute to, like the week before (do you have that much time?) cut the poodle shape out of light pink gumpaste (or fondant with tylose) and let dry a couple days. Then use some darker pink royal icing and make little swirls for the fur and use food markers to outline and do the facial details. It would be simple, and it would add a cute 3D element to the poodle with the royal icing swirls. And it would be nice and hard to set up on the cake too without melting or sliding.

Nytepyre Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 4:53am
post #12 of 14

I'd do the poodle in WBH chocolate method, it's worked well for me, and it is a lot quicker than drying gumpaste for days. I'm impatient. icon_smile.gif

MammaG Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 5:27am
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

A buttercream transfer would probably crack while you pressed it against the curve of the cake...?

I think maybe it would be cute to, like the week before (do you have that much time?) cut the poodle shape out of light pink gumpaste (or fondant with tylose) and let dry a couple days. Then use some darker pink royal icing and make little swirls for the fur and use food markers to outline and do the facial details. It would be simple, and it would add a cute 3D element to the poodle with the royal icing swirls. And it would be nice and hard to set up on the cake too without melting or sliding.

It's for Friday morning, so I'm doing it tomorrow. I think you're right about it cracking. I hadn't even thought about it. I think I'll stick with fondant and maybe a little gumpaste or tylose. Thanks to all!!

FromScratch Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 6:10am
post #14 of 14

I would definitely use gumpaste or at least add the tylose to your fondant. It will make it dry quicker and give it more strength. I don't like using fondant for dried stand up pieces... it never dries hard enough for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%