Attaching Gumpaste Swags

Decorating By TPACakeGirl Updated 18 Feb 2010 , 6:58pm by all4cake

TPACakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPACakeGirl Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 7

I'm icing an 11x15" sheet cake with buttercream icing, but I'm attaching swags along the sides. The swags will be made from gumpaste or fondant and hang down the sides. How do I attach the swags so that the weight doesn't pull them off the cake? I will also be attaching roses to the swags.

6 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 7

Melted chocolate or royal icing

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 8:51pm
post #3 of 7

is this a single layered cake? You called it a sheet cake so that makes me assume it's only 2" high, if that's the case you might consider sticking a toothpick in there to help hold it on.

TPACakeGirl Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 2:08pm
post #4 of 7

It's going to be 2 layers, approx. 4" high.

Can I use royal icing to connect something to buttercream? I was under the impression that the grease in the buttercream would disrupt the adhesive properties of the royal icing?

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 2:27pm
post #5 of 7

grease disrupts the hardening properties of royal icing. The swags can be attached with buttercream icing. Add a small dollop or two to the curved portion as well as the top to help it adhere. When you add your roses (I'm assuming they'll be at the top of each swag?) use them to secure the tops of the swags.

TPACakeGirl Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 5:57pm
post #6 of 7

I was going to leave my roses attached to toothpicks and put those through the swags. I figured those would adhere it better?

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 6:58pm
post #7 of 7

That's sounds like a winner!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%