Imbc/smbc Preferences?

Decorating By Loucinda Updated 18 Feb 2010 , 8:43pm by Loucinda

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 7:08pm
post #1 of 17

I have an order for a cake that has a "meringue buttercream" icing, they did not specify which one - I don't use this type of icing, so I was wondering if those of you who do use it, would you mind telling me which one do you prefer, and what is the reasoning for your decision? Thanks!

16 replies
_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 7:14pm
post #2 of 17

SMBC. Perhaps only because I haven't mustered up the willpower to try IMBC. I hear it holds up a bit better. One of these days I'll try it!

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 7:17pm
post #3 of 17

I prefer IM. It seems to be more velvety to me. Keep in mind though there are 1000s of different recipes of each.

Mike

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 7:28pm
post #4 of 17

i love them both. i do think that imbc is sturdier. the wbh recipe ,for imbc ,is my favorite. hth

Loucinda Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 7:30pm
post #5 of 17

Would either of you mind sharing which recipes are your favorites? I have looked at the ones here in the recipe section, and online, they all seem very similar, just varying the amounts of the ingredients?

Mike1394 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 7:35pm
post #6 of 17

No prob it will have to be early in the morning though.

Mike

Loucinda Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 7:50pm
post #7 of 17

Is the reason you think the IMBC is more stable because the sugar syrup is cooked to 240 versus the SMBC only going to 160? I like the idea of more stability.

(thanks Mike, I appreciate it)

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 7:59pm
post #8 of 17

hi, i will also get back with you tonite. i have to go to work right now. i just checked back on the site. i do think , it is the difference in the way it is cooked. but i don,t know that. again, i like them both for their taste also.will get back tonite.

Loucinda Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 8:00pm
post #9 of 17

Thanks icer! I appreciate it.

saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 10:03pm
post #10 of 17

I use SMBC because I think it's easier to make, and it has always held up for me just fine. I like this recipe from The Well Dressed Cake: http://cakecentral.com/recipes/5453/the-well-dressed-cake-swiss-meringue-buttercream-with-variations

In case you don't already know, it's very important to use unsalted butter -- otherwise it ends up tasting like lightly sweetened butter instead of icing.

Let us know how you like it -- I wouldn't be surprised but what we have another SMBC/IMBC convert in the making.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 11:37pm
post #11 of 17

IMBC, cause I think it gives a stiffer butterceam. But I just used the Well Dressed Cake's recipe for SMBC and I think it gave the same results.

Loucinda Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 8:10pm
post #12 of 17

OK - I have made the first one (icer101 reccommended), YUM! My DH is in love with it. I used Meijer brand unsalted butter, and the color of the icing is really yellowish. Is there a way to tone that down? (other brands of butter that may not be as yellow?) It smoothed perfectly with a hot spatula - just like silk.

I am going to try the other recipe that Mike sent too, just to see how it turns out for me.

I now see why cakes iced with this need to go to the frig for a while before fondant. It is so delicate and soft. I love how it melts in your mouth!

Thanks for the help folks! icon_smile.gif

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 8:11pm
post #13 of 17

Yesssss...a convert! icon_smile.gif

Mike1394 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 8:19pm
post #14 of 17

If you beat the butter it will turn whitish.

Mike

Loucinda Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 8:25pm
post #15 of 17

Mike, I am new to this, please help me understand.....for some reason, I was thinking if you OVER beat this, it will break down? Approximately how long do I leave it beating, (I made this in the KA 6 qt. PRO) and do I keep it at the med. high speed the whole time?

Mike1394 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 8:28pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

Mike, I am new to this, please help me understand.....for some reason, I was thinking if you OVER beat this, it will break down? Approximately how long do I leave it beating, (I made this in the KA 6 qt. PRO) and do I keep it at the med. high speed the whole time?

Till it starts to turn color. If given a time I would say no more than five minutes. Once air starts to incorporate into the butter it will start to lighten up.

Mike

Loucinda Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 8:43pm
post #17 of 17

OK, I was thinking that was about how long I mixed the recipe I just did. I didn't set a timer, but I am pretty good at guessing times. It may be that your recipe will be a whiter color too when it is done. I will try it and see! Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%