Turntables?

Decorating By Ballymena Updated 18 Feb 2010 , 3:16am by icingimages

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 6:00pm
post #1 of 18

I need a new turntable, mine is getting a bit shaky. So far any I have looked at have a bit of give in them therefore don't sit perfectly level with weight on them. Any recommendations? Has anyone tried the Wilton tilting or the Professional?

17 replies
pamfleagle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamfleagle Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 6:53pm
post #2 of 18

I have the little Wilton turntable (only stands about 1" off table) and I love it (I actually have 2 of them) - this is a great turntable for all size cakes.

I just got a new turntable made by Ateco, it has Ateco 612 stamped on it. I love it - it is about 4" off of the table. This is very sturdy and well-made. My husband bought it for me for my birthday, I think he paid about $69. Hope this helps...

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 18

I have the Wilton Professional and it's crap, it's wobbles and doesn't spin smoothly. I got the Fat Daddio's one and I LOVE it!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 7:55pm
post #4 of 18

I don't have anything professional, but I do have two (different) wooden lazy susans that make fantastic turntables --the ball bearings are so smooth... They have large bases and hold a lot of weight. Just an "out of the box" suggestion in case you don't want to spend a lot of money.

allkidzmom1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allkidzmom1 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 8:01pm
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

I don't have anything professional, but I do have two (different) wooden lazy susans that make fantastic turntables --the ball bearings are so smooth... They have large bases and hold a lot of weight. Just an "out of the box" suggestion in case you don't want to spend a lot of money.

Where did you find the wooden turn table if you don't mind me asking. I have been looking for one and unable to find it anywhere. TIA

Christy0722 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christy0722 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 8:18pm
post #6 of 18

I have the Wilton Tilting Turntable and it's excellent for working on the sides of the cake. It has the rubber not-slip top and the cakes don't slip! Sometimes it's actually a little difficult sliding the cake off! It can get a little wobbly when there is a heavy cake on top but it works pretty decent.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 8:30pm
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy0722

I have the Wilton Tilting Turntable and it's excellent for working on the sides of the cake. It has the rubber not-slip top and the cakes don't slip! Sometimes it's actually a little difficult sliding the cake off! It can get a little wobbly when there is a heavy cake on top but it works pretty decent.

I just put a piece of non skid shelf liner on top of my Fat Daddios and nothing moves icon_smile.gif I've heard of the tilting turntables coming loose and cakes falling off of them.

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 8:39pm
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy0722

I just put a piece of non skid shelf liner on top of my Fat Daddios and nothing moves icon_smile.gif I've heard of the tilting turntables coming loose and cakes falling off of them.

I have also...which makes me afraid of getting one, as handy as it would be!
I have the cheapy Wilton one and I put a large wooden board on it (1/2 sheet size) for support, on top of the rubber non-slip mat and it works fine for now...dreaming of getting a nicer one, someday!! (Maybe if Maryland makes it legal for me to sell cakes I'll take the plunge! LOL!)

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 8:39pm
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by allkidzmom1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

Where did you find the wooden turn table if you don't mind me asking. I have been looking for one and unable to find it anywhere. TIA

Mine are from IKEA.

Edited to add that I think, I think, I paid 7.99... One of my best purchases ever!

allkidzmom1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allkidzmom1 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 8:47pm
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

Mine are from IKEA.

Edited to add that I think, I think, I paid 7.99... One of my best purchases ever!

Thank you so much!!

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 11:31pm
post #11 of 18

Thanks everyone, that answers my question. I will have a look for the Fat Daddio one, I know they have very good cake pans. I have the turntable from IKEA, it was $9.99 here in Canada, it's good for the large cakes but still has a slight wiggle. I level my cakes while they are on the counter but still feel like it's a bit crooked though it's only the turntable's slight tilt that makes them look that way. I would like to have one that is rock solid.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 1:29am
post #12 of 18
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

Mine are from IKEA.

Thank you so much!!

Because of you all mentioning the lazy susan from Ikea I put it on my xmas list and I rec'd it! I now have the wilton cheap one and the Ikea one...oh and BTW the Ikea one is called a Snooda. Weird name but that's what they call it and yes they are 7.99 in the states.

kimbm04r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbm04r Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 2:07am
post #13 of 18

I went to Menards and got the turntable bearing and my husband made me a corian turntable with it. The bearing unit will handle 1000 pounds so I don't think I will even have to large of a cake for it to handle. hehehe

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 2:33am
post #14 of 18

As far as professional turntables, Ateco, Bakery Crafts, the old line, been around forever companies make great ones.

Anything W is more than likely crap. There have been soooo many reports of cakes falling off those cray W tilting turntables.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 2:45am
post #15 of 18

Mine is Ateco...love it.

Rebealuvsweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rebealuvsweets Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 2:46am
post #16 of 18

Oh man, I just got the Wilton professional turntable 2 days ago. Had the 50% off Michael's coupon. It was $35.00 plus tax. Now, I am wondering if it is a waste of money since it is not as good as I thought it would be icon_cry.gif

custard79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
custard79 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 2:55am
post #17 of 18

I use a wooden lazy susan. Its the best!!! holds alot of weight and turns super smooth. Best this is i think I only paid $20 for it!!

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 3:16am
post #18 of 18

Check out the cake wheel, one of my customers created it and it is a very versital wheel. It is more expensive, but you get what you pay for. I think the website is www.thecakewheel.com She was just on Ultimate Cake Show with it and it was used in that show that aired on Feb 8th

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%