Local Cake Contests

Decorating By cadgurl07 Updated 3 Apr 2010 , 5:05am by 7god77

cadgurl07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cadgurl07 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 4:08pm
post #1 of 9

I was just wondering on how everyone finds local cake contests. I would like to start to enter this year, just to get some experience but am completely clueless on where to look. Also do you have to be licensed to participate in those?
Thank you.

8 replies
KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 5:30pm
post #2 of 9

Hi,
I do a lot of surfing online to find anything relating to cakes. Obviously the first place I check is right here at Cake Central. Always check the EVENTS board for upcoming shows.

You can also check on American Cake Decorating's website as they have a list of shows and classes all over the US.

If you know of cake clubs in certain states, ( there is a big list of them on another thread) they might direct you to shows.

You do not have to be a professional to participate in most shows. In fact, that's the whole fun of it. Most people do it just for fun and there are all skill levels. I've been doing cake shows for 5 years now and have a blast at it! It's so fun to enter but also to just "talk cake" with fellow decorators who enjoy it as much as I do.

Hope that helps!
KimAZ

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 5:33pm
post #3 of 9

just google cake shows and the area or state that you are interested in and if there are any, they should come up

cadgurl07 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 6:19pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks, I've already done the google search and nothing came up.

I took a look at the ACD's website and found one somewhat nearby but they didn't have that much info. I guess I'll have to email them and see what it's about.

Where is the Event's on CC?

I was also thinking more of the local things. We have a bunch of farm shows and fairgrounds around the area and thought there has to be something, plus I live between the Poconos and Philly with a 15 min drive to the NJ border. But yet still nothing. Any help and/or advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

pattycakesnj Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 6:23pm
post #5 of 9

there are 2 shows coming up in NJ, a bakery show in Atlantic City and a cake show in Burlington County. Check the NJ Cake Decorator's Club meet up page for more info. HTH

cadgurl07 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 8:58pm
post #6 of 9

That one in Burlington is too close...it's this weekend and the Atlantic City one looks like it only for actual businesses. I'm just a hobby baker so I'm not looking for businesses, suppliers, clients, etc. I'll just have to continue to keep my eyes open.
Thanks again.

pattycakesnj Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 9:16pm
post #7 of 9

sorry that didn't help but keep checking the NJ Cake Decorator's web site for postings (or better yet, join, it is only $10 a year and they offer great classes, relatively inexpensive, and they are a great group of people)

cadgurl07 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 2:35pm
post #8 of 9

that's alright...now I know it's not me. I would have thought being surrounded by a bunch of nice size cities that there would have been something. Even Allentown I would have thought. But I'll definatly keep looking. Thanks for your help

7god77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7god77 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 5:05am
post #9 of 9

My competition may not be close enough to you but it is on Oct. 16, 2010 in Ithaca, NY. The theme is Nursery Rhyme Cakes. You can get more info. on my website at www.cnycakedecorating.com. We have some awesome prizes! We had 64 competitors last year and are anticipating between 100-120 this year.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%