Wooden Or Plastic Dowels

Decorating By iris219 Updated 17 Feb 2010 , 8:34pm by prterrell

iris219 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 3:15pm
post #1 of 7

Can you tell me which dowel would be better to place inside the cakes for stacking? The wooden or plastic? I am making a 2 or 3 tier wedding cake and don't know which one would be best from keeping the one tier from sinking into the other.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

6 replies
aundron Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 3:58pm
post #2 of 7

You could do a search on the forums and get a lot of information on this topic.

I used to use dowels; but, I could never cut them straight, so, I use bubble tea straws. They are pretty sturdy and easy to cut. The only time I use a wooden dowel is to put down the middle of the cake; never for stacking though. I've only used the plastic dowels a couple of times and they were okay, but I totally prefer bubble tea straws. (you can buy them at your local Asian markets or on Ebay)

Leah recommends the SPS system (I think that's right). I hope to get this one day!!

HTH icon_smile.gif

_Jamie_ Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 7

SPS is what I use for cakes over three tiers OR special circumstances.

Tea straws are for everything else. I don't like sticking pieces of wood into my cake.

HamSquad Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 5:21pm
post #4 of 7

Does any one use cake jacks? They are a plastic dowel rods that can be a adjusted to height of the cake, they come in 3", 4" and can be adjusted up to 1 inch over their initial height. I need to try the bubble straws. The cake jacks I know are more pricier than the straws and dowel rods. I love them because I don't have to cut or clip anything.

pattycakesnj Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 5:35pm
post #5 of 7

I use both plastic and wooden, whatever is on sale. I am afraid to use bubble tea straws on cakes that are being transported. (I use bubble tea straws for tiered cakes at home)

iris219 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 8:25pm
post #6 of 7
Originally Posted by aundron

Leah recommends the SPS system HTH icon_smile.gif

Did a search and found the thread. Wish I saw that before, don't think I can order in time for me to try this out. I have the wedding cake to make next weekend.

Thank you.

prterrell Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 8:34pm
post #7 of 7

Quote by @%username% on %date%