Help! Carved Dolphin Cake??

Decorating By allthehobbies Updated 18 Feb 2010 , 4:44pm by cakeglitz

allthehobbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allthehobbies Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 2:45pm
post #1 of 4

I used to work in a large office where I could bring in cakes all the time, and they would get eaten. I also used to get a lot of orders because of that office. I now work for a company with a total of 9 employees, 6 of whom do not work in my office.

I was telling my brother how I really miss having different challenges and opportunities to make different kinds of cakes. I'm lucky if I have a reason to make 4 cakes a year now, and I do a few extras when I feel like it, and send them to with my boyfriend to work so they get eaten.

My brother, whose birthday is this Saturday, jokingly said he wanted a dolphin cake for his birthday. I asked him why, and he said it would be a good challenge for me to attempt to make a carved, upright dolphin, balancing on its tail.

Well, I'm not one to back down from a challenge, plus I think it would be really funny for my brother to get a cute little dolphin cake for his 18th birthday, but I have never even attempted a carved cake of any kind, let alone something as complicated as a dolphin. Does anyone have any tips for me? I'm also thinking I could make a regular layered round or square cake, and make a smaller dolphin out of fondant or gumpaste or RKT to put on top. I'll take any helpful ideas I can get, bring 'em on! icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meegz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meegz Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 8:13am
post #3 of 4

I have no idea how they did it - but this one's pretty cool!
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_NXOBAEj-cwI/SRqcRqWhwjI/AAAAAAAACug/JFNVyWBvdio/s320/ED+Dolphin.JPG

cakeglitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeglitz Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 4:44pm
post #4 of 4

You might try molding it out of RCT and then place a wooden dowl rod through the center and then down through your cake. You could also give it more support by using a RCT platform to put the rod through as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%