Please Help, Need To Give Quote!

Business By DecorateMe Updated 18 Feb 2010 , 6:54pm by DecorateMe

DecorateMe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecorateMe Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 2:04pm
post #1 of 20

Hi All,

I need to give a quote for a wedding cake but am not sure of the support system used in this cake, and want to include it in the cost:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1472434

Can I buy this or make it? Where is the best place to buy it from?

I would also like to know how I work out how many roses are needed, if I tell her to order fresh.

The cake will be either a 6, 8, 10" or a 8, 10, 12"

Thanks for your help!
Sharon

19 replies
_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 20

Most likely it's just longer dowels. Or SPS (SPS insructions and what it is is a sticky at top of How Do I forum)

Flowers-measure a flower. Figure out how many are needed for your particular project. You might have jumbo roses where you are. Or teeny tiny roses.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 4:02pm
post #3 of 20

To me it looks like two plates on top with pillars in between.

Something like this cake pictured here:
http://www.wilton.com/idea/Black-White-Classic

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 4:07pm
post #4 of 20

You can get 7" or 9" push-through pillars for that, too. More secure than a plate system since they go through the entire lower tier. http://www.cakedeco.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_prod.html?p_prodid=3633&p_catid=&page=2

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 4:22pm
post #5 of 20

Couldn't it also be done with a plate on top of the first tier, then a smaller styrofoam dummy that the flower stems are pushed into, then another plate for the next tier?

DecorateMe Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 8:51pm
post #6 of 20

Thanks, I thought it was probably pillars.

Does the sps system have special square plates?

Wrt the flowers, if I'm telling her to tell her florist to bring roses, how many do I tell her to bring?
Do you all just give an estimate, and if so, how do you estimate?

Thanks!

_Jamie_ Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 8:57pm
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jamie_

Flowers-measure a flower. Figure out how many are needed for your particular project. You might have jumbo roses where you are. Or teeny tiny roses.

DecorateMe Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 9:01pm
post #8 of 20

Thank you, I did read that!

I am not providing the roses though, and I don't yet have the stand, so if I want to give her a quote, I need to tell her:
The cake costs X
The stand for this cake will cost X
You'll need about X number of flowers from your florist.

Do you measure flowers for every cake? What if it's an assortment? What if you're not handling the flowers?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 9:07pm
post #9 of 20

generally I tell the bride to show the pic to the florist and let the florist figure out how many flowers, they are the flower experts afterall right?

this has worked for me so far! the florists generally have a good idea how large the flowers will be and usually order extra just in case too.

_Jamie_ Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 9:19pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

generally I tell the bride to show the pic to the florist and let the florist figure out how many flowers, they are the flower experts afterall right?

this has worked for me so far! the florists generally have a good idea how large the flowers will be and usually order extra just in case too.

I wouldn't depend on the florist to know from looking at a picture what the tier sizes are, what the space in between the tiers will be..etc., etc.

That's why I suggested some hands on experience here. For future reference as well.

And I never provide the flowers either, ever. But I do calculate a little and tell the bride that I will need at least xx stems of xx variiety of flowers, preferrably in full bloom/half bloom/etc. icon_smile.gif

_Jamie_ Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 9:29pm
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecorateMe

Do you measure flowers for every cake? What if it's an assortment? What if you're not handling the flowers?

No. A long time ago, I went to a florist shop and a silk flower shop. I measured different blooms, buds, sprigs, etc., etc. Yeah, I'm persnickity about details. icon_biggrin.gif

KHalstead Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 9:33pm
post #12 of 20

well, generally I give the BTB all that info w/ the photo......how much space between tiers and how large each tier is, I wouldn't expect the florist to just guess from the photo........my experience has just been that when I say to the bride............you need tiny little sweetheart roses because there is only a 1" difference for the ledge of the cake and you want petals scattered down and then I show up and the bride has 6 humongous at least 5" across roses with ginormous petals that I have to sit and cut with cuticle scissors (good thing I had them in my cake stuff that I brought) so they look like mini petals and you wind up with a cake that looks like this!!! With a bride demanding the $400 spent on the cake back because it was so hideous!!
(Can you tell I'm over the flower thing lol)

lol........I try to guesstimate too but it's much easier when you know what you're working with as far as the size of the flower, and generally the florist has a much better idea of what the actually size will be based on the time of year and type of flower!
LL

_Jamie_ Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 9:36pm
post #13 of 20

That sucks K, that really sucks.

_Jamie_ Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 9:43pm
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

and you wind up with a cake that looks like this!!!

And this happens to me too, no matter what I tell them. I hate huge ginormous roses. They look stupid. There are a few of mine that look ridiculous because of the flowers. icon_rolleyes.gif

Sometimes....I want to be the one that gets the flowers. icon_twisted.gif

KHalstead Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 9:49pm
post #15 of 20

the funny thing is that top cake is a 6" square and those roses were plucked clean of most of the petals to make them THAT small LOL

I was literally agast when I saw the roses, not only huge but totally wilted and nasty looking.

I didn't care for the design of the cake to begin with and that just topped it off!

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 10:20pm
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecorateMe

Thanks, I thought it was probably pillars.

Does the sps system have special square plates?

Thanks!

Yes SPS also has square plates thumbs_up.gif .

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 10:45pm
post #17 of 20

Honestly, I tell the bride how much air space needs to be filled. 3" tall by 8 running inches on each side, for example. She tells the florist. After that, I stick in whatever flowers the florist brings.

I. am. not. a. florist.

DecorateMe Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 5:47am
post #18 of 20

Thanks all.

Where is the best place to order the SPS with square plates? I need overseas delivery, and the wedding is in 3 weeks.

Yes, I know, ridiculous, but it's my cousin and she's hard to pin down :icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the help!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 1:44pm
post #19 of 20

Well, BakeryCrafts.com if you can order wholesale, GSA or Oasis if you have to buy retail.

But we're collectively mad at Oasis right now.

DecorateMe Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 6:54pm
post #20 of 20

I found them at Global Sugar Art.

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%