Cake For 70Th Birthday

Decorating By tsal Updated 25 Feb 2010 , 11:31am by tsal

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 1:38pm
post #1 of 5

Hi Cake Gurus!

My FIL is turning 70 and I have been commissioned to make the cake. He is a connoisseur of the finer things in life so I'm still thinking about what to make. I had thought about making a red-wine-bottle cake, but I just made one, and he has seen it, so I'd rather do something a little different.

I was thinking about a Sugar Champagne bottle in a bucket-of-ice cake. What does everyone think? My FIL would not really appreciate a funny themed cake (like those over-the-hill cakes) as he has a bit of an ego (I'm making him sound awful - he really is a good person!)

Any ideas on what kind of cake to make for the person who considers himself a jetsetting type (who has discerning tastes)? I had also thought about a newspaper cake with 'FIL turns 70!!' as a headline, but then I realized that piping is involved and I'm not the best at piping script. Fugghedaboudit!

I also was thinking about a 'roll-of-film' cake where I would have round cake tiers (like film reels) and have edible images pictures of him throughout the stages in his life (he LOVES pics from his past).

Any ideas for either/both of these design ideas (or completely new ones)would be most welcome!

4 replies
myKzooKid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myKzooKid Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 2:07pm
post #2 of 5

For the discerning taste, you could set a "table" with various classy items like caviar, fine cheese, a glass of wine, etc. I don't have a discerning taste so I don't know what other foods would fit. You could add a rose or some other elegant flower in a petite vase and/or a candle in a shiny candle stick. HTH.

Cherise09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cherise09 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 2:06am
post #3 of 5

What about a cake car? Something the older generations would enjoy. Shiny red Jaguar maybe?

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 11:09am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherise09

What about a cake car? Something the older generations would enjoy. Shiny red Jaguar maybe?

I just did this cake for a client last week who's hubby was turning 70 - it is a Jaguar car badge.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1587826.html

I have heard back from her and he absolutely loved it. Cars are a good theme for that age unless he has a particular hobby.

Good luck thumbs_up.gif

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 11:31am
post #5 of 5

Wow! Great Jaguar cake!!!

Thanks for the ideas. He used to have a corvette in his youth that he LOVED. Maybe I'll try to recreate it.

T

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%