Using Cornstarch Or Powdered Sugar?

Decorating By sheilabelle Updated 18 Feb 2010 , 2:32am by Sweet_Guys

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 12:43pm
post #1 of 10

Can anyone tell me which is the best to use when rolling out fondant? I have heard somewhere (I think it was Norm Davis) that fondant has a chemical reaction with cornstarch and that you shouldn't use it when rolling it out. Is this true? I know that I prefer to use cornstarch because I hate the feel of the powdered sugar. It feels really grainy even though I use the 10x.

9 replies
Lee15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee15 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 12:59pm
post #2 of 10

I roll on cornstarch and don't have much of an issue with it. I find that it tends to dry the fondant out a bit.

milmil95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milmil95 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 1:00pm
post #3 of 10

I actually use a little Crisco on the rolling pin and lightly grease the surface with Crisco before rolling out my fondant. It works great and doesn't cause the fondant to dry out. If you don't want to do that I would use powder sugar and not corn starch. It definitely tastes better.

allthehobbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allthehobbies Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 1:06pm
post #4 of 10

I use a 2 parts powdered sugar, 1 part cornstarch mixture, and it doesn't take very much at all to keep the fondant from sticking. I've never tried the Crisco method, but I'm intrigued by it. Obviously, it wouldn't dry out the fondant, but what if you have to re-roll once or twice? Does it not make it greasy?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 1:08pm
post #5 of 10

I switched to rolling out on veg shorenning years ago. Much easier. And rerolling has virtually no effect. What the exposure to air dries out, the veg shortening re-moisturizes.

Flintstone691961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Flintstone691961 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 1:36pm
post #6 of 10

I use a silicon mat and it doesn't stick to that either....at least not yet. Just don't cut on you mat.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 1:43pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by milmil95

I actually use a little Crisco on the rolling pin and lightly grease the surface with Crisco before rolling out my fondant. It works great and doesn't cause the fondant to dry out. If you don't want to do that I would use powder sugar and not corn starch. It definitely tastes better.

I also use crisco - waaay more success than powdered sugar or cornstarch! I invested in a silicone mat too and love it. I use a bit on that (but yes, don't cut there!)

whisperingmadcow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whisperingmadcow Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 2:00pm
post #8 of 10

Maybe I am a dope, but I don't really use anything for rolling out the fondant. Some times I use a little cornstarch for smoothing the fondant over the cake as my paddle sticks sometimes.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 1:04am
post #9 of 10

I'm part of the crisco crew too! I hated the residue that both CS and PS left on the fondant and you get none of that with the crisco..you get a soft slightly shiny surface instead.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 2:32am
post #10 of 10

Originally, we were taught to use cornstarch. However, Nick Lodge mentioned recently that he prefers powdered sugar over cornstarch. The reason: The powder on the underneath that touches the buttercream, would you rather have the pasty taste of cornstarch when it touches your tongue or the sweet taste of the powdered sugar? You decide. LOL

Paul

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%