New Wdding Wire Heads Up

Business By costumeczar Updated 18 Feb 2010 , 12:10pm by costumeczar

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 12:41pm
post #1 of 8

If you haven't checked your weddingwire dot com listing recently, you might be surprised to find that they've started a "fantastic" new feature on the free listings. On the left side of your listing page they've added a box that features other vendors and says "You might also want to try" with links to their pages. When you ask them why they've put this on there, the response is that you can have it removed if you upgrade your lisitng to a paid one. icon_mad.gif

If you don't like that you're essentially helping to advertise your competition and you take your listing off of the site entirely, you lose the ability to respond to reviews, so it's a no-win for vendors. Just a heads-up in case you hadn't noticed. The other vendors they list in the box isn't the same every time you go to the page, either. The first time I checked on this, two of the three bakers that were listed on my page were people that I have REAL problems with becasue of skeevy things they've done, so I wasn't all that pleased to see them listed on my page as if I'm endorsing them or something.

7 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 1:09pm
post #2 of 8

Wedding Wire has got to be my most hated website.

thecookieladycc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecookieladycc Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 2:49pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Wedding Wire has got to be my most hated website.

CRAP, and I just signed up! grrrr

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 12:18am
post #4 of 8

double crap i just signed up too icon_sad.gif

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 3:36am
post #5 of 8

but perhaps sometimes your site will show up on someone elses page, or are those ones only paid members that get advertised there.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 3:37am
post #6 of 8

but perhaps sometimes your site will show up on someone elses page, or are those ones only paid members that get advertised there.

PieceofCakeAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceofCakeAZ Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 4:09am
post #7 of 8

I noticed that a few weeks ago, good stuff huh? thumbsdown.gif

I suppose they need a way to get people to pay. For years we were the top listing because we had the most reviews but now they list the paying people at the top and jumble the order of the rest. I got an email from them earlier this week about becoming a paid advertiser but I haven't responded to see what the cost is.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 12:10pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieceofCakeAZ

I noticed that a few weeks ago, good stuff huh? thumbsdown.gif

I suppose they need a way to get people to pay. For years we were the top listing because we had the most reviews but now they list the paying people at the top and jumble the order of the rest. I got an email from them earlier this week about becoming a paid advertiser but I haven't responded to see what the cost is.

I looked, and the basic listing is $660 a year, and there's one other more expensive option. I get ZERO referrals from them, so I don't know why they'd think I'd pay for that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%