Need Ideas Asap!

Baking By lolobell Updated 18 Feb 2010 , 3:38am by lolobell

lolobell Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 5:13am
post #1 of 13

hi all!
was asked today to do a combo baby shower and retirement cake all in one! any ideas!? it's for two different ladies (former co-workers of mine)!
it's a last minute deal... need it by sunday....
anyways........... was hoping to get some ideas on what to do?

thanks

12 replies
antonia74 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 12:32pm
post #2 of 13

icon_confused.gif Oh COME ON! That's an unusual combination to try to make into one item! You'd think they'd relent and have two separate orders, for crying out loud. icon_rolleyes.gif

Personally, I'd do a small "retirement" themed cake for the one person and baby shower-themed cupcakes for the other.

lapazlady Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 12:44pm
post #3 of 13

I'd go for 2 different cakes, or one small cake and cupcakes for one or the other. If you feel you have to do one cake perhaps a clear cut division can be used. One side retirement and the other baby shower. Strange, though.

noahsmummy Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 12:49pm
post #4 of 13

agree with the the other posters..
either two seperate cakes or one cake with a clare diviosion..

allthehobbies Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 1:02pm
post #5 of 13

I was once asked to make a graduation cake for the 2nd child in a family (family friends, I had made the cake 2 years earlier for the oldest kid). Of course, I agreed. As the event got closer, with all their family coming to town, it turns out they had a couple birthdays, a "Bon Voyage", and an anniversary to celebrate on the same weekend. In my opinion, Carrie's graduation was the point of the party, and should have been the only one on that cake, and they could have just acknowledged the other things throughout the weekend. But what does my opinion matter? : )

What made it really difficult, is that these other items got added one by one, making it next to impossible to plan for this cake at all. I didn't get the final word on who was going to be there and what events would be celebrated until a day or two before the cake was due. I ended up making the top 2/3 of a half sheet "Congratulations Carrie" with a graduate silhouette. The bottom third was divided into three sections with a simple border, and I just put the plain messages in each section. Personally, I thought it was hideous, but it met their requirements. I don't even have any pictures of it, because I was so unhappy with it.

It was 4 years ago, clearly I'm still bitter! icon_rolleyes.gif

KHalstead Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 2:44pm
post #6 of 13

What about a sillhouette of a pregnant woman on one side, and a sillhouette of someone relaxing in a beach chair and something written saying................

"Congratulations on a new beginning"

or something to signify the beginning of a new life w/ a child and a new life in retirement?

GeminiRJ Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 2:46pm
post #7 of 13

Ditto what Antonia said! That said, I know how important it is to keep the customer happy. I'd grumble the whole time I did the cake, but this is what I'd do: divide a rectangular cake diagonally with a shell border. On one side, decorate it in the one theme. On the other side, decorate for the second theme. Try to use similar colors.

What a bummer! Nothing like stressing out the cake decorator!

allthehobbies Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 2:48pm
post #8 of 13

KHalstead, I love that idea! See, I would never think of something so clever to tie to ideas together like that! icon_smile.gif

antonia74 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 2:51pm
post #9 of 13

I agree, that's a winner! thumbs_up.gif

lolobell Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 5:01pm
post #10 of 13

well, thank you all soooooooooooo much! i know i can always rely on all of you for help!

i asked this morning if they would be willing to accept two cakes as opposed to the one... but,...no go!!!

so, divide i will and conquer!!!!!! keep the ideas coming...but i'm off to grab my satin ice to start on the figurines!

THANKS AGAIN!

lolobell Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 2:24am
post #11 of 13

okay: update and questions...

i figured out that i will make a baby figurine on a blanket..with bottles, blocks etc laying around him... then on the opposite side the retired lady on a beach towel laying in the sun surrounded by a book, drink etc....
Oh, and i'm using the fantastic idea of "new beginnings".. so, thank you for that!

now...this is my question... i usually make my own MMF to cover my cakes....usually i am making cakes for children and frankly, they love it! BUT............ today i bought a small tub of Satin Ice to make my figurines instead of my gum paste/wilton fondant combo. I tasted Satin Ice and i actually thought is wasn't too darn bad. it would sure save me some time and energy using that to cover this cake. i am making a yellow pound with chocolate ganache and fresh raspberry filling...covered in my IndyDebi buttercream........... i'm wondering if i could get away with using satin ice in place of my MMF and still have a great tasting cake..??? i was hoping the combo of buttercream/chocolate and fruit would help?
let me know what you think!

whisperingmadcow Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 2:31am
post #12 of 13

I have to say that I like th taste of Satin Ice, so I say yes.

lolobell Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 3:38am
post #13 of 13

yeah, satin ice really was okay! i was kind of surprised. i did, however,notice that it dries really quickly..as i made my figurines....does it do that on the cake too? i've never used it... it was very dry, almost slightly hard before too long.....does the cake itself keep it moist? just wondering.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%