Lifting A Sheet Cake

Decorating By lstalder Updated 17 Feb 2010 , 5:46am by Beckup

lstalder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lstalder Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 4:07am
post #1 of 9

How do I lift and move the top half of a full sheet cake to put on top of first layer and filling?
thanks

8 replies
Meagan84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meagan84 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 4:17am
post #2 of 9

I just use a cake board the same size as the cake and slide it under the torted layer to lift it off, then when it's time to put it back on, I just slide it back on using the board it is already on. icon_lol.gif

mirda6275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mirda6275 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 4:21am
post #3 of 9

you can also use a cookie sheet (the kind that only has a lip on one side) to slide under the layer and lift off, then it can slide back off

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 4:24am
post #4 of 9

i do as meagan84 does, never had one to break.hth

moscakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moscakes5 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 4:34am
post #5 of 9

I use a flat cooke sheet from Wilton

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 4:47am
post #6 of 9

What are the dimensions of the cake you are calling a "full sheet"?

I agree with mortega5. I use a flat cookie sheet, the kind with no sides, when I torte most cakes.

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 4:52am
post #7 of 9

I torte the cake, then gently slice the top layer in half (across the width) with a bread/serrated knife. So, I basically take the top layer off in two pieces, fill the cake, then replace the two halves of the top layer. When the cake is iced, it's impossible to tell it's been cut. It's so much easier than trying to lift off a huge, thin layer of cake.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 5:24am
post #8 of 9

Freezing that top layer works wonders--you can position it perfectly, do a crumb coat and come back and finish after it's thawed. No chance of breakage, and no need to cut.

Beckup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckup Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 5:46am
post #9 of 9

I always bake sheet cakes on parchment paper. The bottom becomes the top. Leave the paper on until you have filled and placed it back on top. I use a cake board to move it (the paper just gives it extra stability). Peel the paper off and you are ready to ice the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%