Soft Or Crusting...

Decorating By terri76 Updated 18 Feb 2010 , 2:16pm by terri76

terri76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terri76 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 2:44am
post #1 of 9

All of our local cake shops and bakeries use soft, non crusting icing. I've always used crusting buttercream, but prefer the noncrusting.

What kind of icing does everyone on CC use, non crusting or crusting? If you use soft/non crusting, what recipe do you use?

I really want to try a non crusting icing, but I don't know where to begin with a good recipe.

Thanks for the help!!!

8 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 2:46am
post #2 of 9

I use crusting so that I can Melvira it icon_biggrin.gif

Are the bakeries using whipped icing or buttercream?

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 2:50am
post #3 of 9

I use SMBC exclusively. I don't like hard icing either. It never ever crusts, has no shortening, no powdered sugar and is shiny like glass when you smooth it. Can't beat the taste either.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 2:53am
post #4 of 9

I have a really good noncrusting buttercream I use and I like a variation of Indydebi's crusting buttercream -- depending on the cake I'm doing. Sometimes I need it to crust for various reasons and other times I can get away with a great noncrusting buttercream. I don't use the whipped toppings at all.

terri76 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 3:47am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I have a really good noncrusting buttercream I use

Would you mind sharing your recipe?

I looked at the SMBC and it looks like it'd be more work (&time) than I'd want to put into making it. icon_redface.gif

Texas Rose...Most use a buttercream, then some won't tell me what kind they use. I feel sure it must be some type of bought icing in the buckets.

I live in south MS, so I have to have something that will hold up with the high humidity and heat.

terri76 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 7:02pm
post #6 of 9

I think I might try the SMBC...Jamie, do you know how it holds up to heat and how long it can be left out at room temp., if it needs to be refridgerated?

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 7:06pm
post #7 of 9

SMBC, by all means. I like crunchy Doritos, not crunchy icing.

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 7:11pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by terri76

I think I might try the SMBC...Jamie, do you know how it holds up to heat and how long it can be left out at room temp., if it needs to be refridgerated?

No direct sunlight, and keep the temp at 90ish or below. A good way to gauge how it holds up in your area is to unwrap a stick of butter and place it outside on a plate in the shade. Poke it a couple hours later. Is it super soft? Did it hold it's square shape? Are there puddles forming? If it still looks like a stick o buttah and hasn't pooled into a blob...you're good to go.

I have personally left an SMBC iced cake on my counter at home for 3 days and it was fine. But that may be gross to some people, and I certainly would never make a customer's cake 3 days before I was to deliver it. icon_smile.gif

Also--ate some cake that was in the fridge for 2 weeks once...it didn't taste any different than when it was fresh. The cake was a little dry and the icing had a sticky texture, but that was probably the salmonella slick. Yum. Just kidding. icon_biggrin.gif

terri76 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 2:16pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks a bunch everybody!!!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%