I Have Got To Stop Lurking!!!

Decorating By AlterEgoChef Updated 17 Feb 2010 , 1:07pm by LEHLA

AlterEgoChef Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 12:24am
post #1 of 31

Hey there everyone!

So I'm Kristin, and I am FORCING myself out of the cake closet, as it were. I've been on the site for a couple of months now, and I have learned SO FREAKIN' MUCH from y'all...but I never post because what on earth could I possibly have to add (other than some high quality snark)???

But I love this site, I love what everyone has to offer, and I love the amazing work I see...so, #&*(!, I officially need to stop being the creepy girl in the cake corner, twirling her hair and muttering "that's so cool...." under her breath. lol

One of these days I'll have the guts to, I don't know, post pictures of my work??? What kind of insanity would THAT be??? Probably the same insanity that drives people to pay me actual money for this stuff. Wha???? : )

30 replies
LaBellaFlor Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 12:32am
post #2 of 31

High quality snarks?!?!?! We love some high quality snarks! icon_biggrin.gif ...except for the Rainbows & Kitty Club members of course. But who cares, SNARK AWAY! icon_twisted.gif and of course be a contributing memember as well. icon_biggrin.gif

Deb_ Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 12:41am
post #3 of 31

LOL Bella, that was gonna be my response as well! Great minds.. icon_biggrin.gif

Welcome OP, glad you decided to come over to the "dark side" of the forums! icon_cool.gif

Shermie1 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 12:44am
post #4 of 31

Oh my goodness...... I'm really NOT the only one. I am also guilty of being a lurker (if that's really a word). I also LOVE this site and am so addicted. I love to bake and want to learn decorating. I have gotten so much valuable info on here. I want to say Thank you to everyone who has contributed and had fed my addiction. I have posted a few of my pictures and they do not hold a candle to any of the talent here. Happy Decorating

Deb_ Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 12:47am
post #5 of 31

Welcome Shermie! Wow you have great willpower to have been a member for 2 years and never posted in the forums.

OK all the rest of you "lurkers" come on out of the closet, you know you want to! icon_biggrin.gif

sadsmile Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 12:51am
post #6 of 31

We don't have enough snark to go around... the more the merrier!

costumeczar Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 12:52am
post #7 of 31

Come out, little lurkers. But don't post any pictures of cakes with questions asking how much you should charge, for the love of God.

costumeczar Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 12:52am
post #8 of 31

Oh, now I'm going to be accused of trying to restrict conversation! Oh well.

Deb_ Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 12:56am
post #9 of 31

Oh no the PM's are gonna be FLYING back and forth tonight, warning all the newbies about the forum "bullies".

costumeczar Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 1:22am
post #10 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb_

Oh no the PM's are gonna be FLYING back and forth tonight, warning all the newbies about the forum "bullies".

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gifparty.gif

AlterEgoChef Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 1:27am
post #11 of 31

oh BRING IT, BULLIES!!! I WILL TAKE YOU DOWN!!!

Wait. I don't even know what that means.

So I'm making a Vezon Bionicle cake tonight. What should I charge?

KIDDING. Well, about the what to charge part. The Vezon Bionicle part is true...two words that were completely foreign to me until a couple of weeks ago. And I have a son. Was doing a severed leg in a woodchipper a few weeks ago; somehow that made more sense to me. Weird. icon_lol.gif

Deb_ Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 1:31am
post #12 of 31

What the heck is a Vezon Bionicle?

tirby Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 1:35am
post #13 of 31

Well welcome?? Or have we already met?? at anyrate. I'm right there with ya. I have learned a TON from my CC family. IF I can ever help you let me know. I love to pay it forward!!

costumeczar Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 1:39am
post #14 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgoChef

oh BRING IT, BULLIES!!! I WILL TAKE YOU DOWN!!!

Wait. I don't even know what that means.

So I'm making a Vezon Bionicle cake tonight. What should I charge?

KIDDING. Well, about the what to charge part. The Vezon Bionicle part is true...two words that were completely foreign to me until a couple of weeks ago. And I have a son. Was doing a severed leg in a woodchipper a few weeks ago; somehow that made more sense to me. Weird. icon_lol.gif

Bullies on CC are people who will answer your questions directly and without hand-holding. If you can't take it, it will seem like we're being SOOOO MEEEAAANNN! (Yes, I assume that people will take some of my posts as bully-esque, since I'm not into the puppies and rainbows.) I swear that when I type in my responses to a lot of these posts the tone is entirely helpful/neutral in my head, but I guess that people can read a lot into neutral! icon_lol.gif

I have a vague idea of what a bionicle is, but it's definitely something I'd have to google!

AlterEgoChef Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 1:51am
post #15 of 31

Bionicles: godawful line of Lego toys that have been marketed via books/comic books/movies (HELLO BIG HONKIN' COMMERCIALS). Annoys the #@&*( (I'm assuming I can't swear here. lol) out of me. But I'm a crazy hippie parent. So what are ya gonna do? icon_razz.gif Oh, and Vezon is evidently a bad guy (the dude riding the red thing below)...and I'm going to draw him in frosting. Now THAT'S a party.

And why do I get the sense that I may be a FBIT (Forum Bully In Training)? Uh oh. lololol
LL

allthehobbies Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 1:53am
post #16 of 31

I, too, am guilty of being a bit of a lurker. I have been on here for a year now, and I check the website a few times a day, look at other people's pictures, and that's about it. I have posted a couple times, but I also tend to just read and/or look at pictures, without posting much.

I have to say though, I have gotten so much out of this website. I am so excited that there is a cake show being started in my area, and I never would have found it without this website. costumeczar, I think I would probably come off as a bully if I posted much, so I understand what you mean! I hear that a lot in real life, too, when I think I am being helpful/neutral, and apparently it comes off as an "attitude problem"...haha

Anyway, I hope to get up the courage to post more often and maybe give back a little bit to someone else. : )

Deb_ Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 1:56am
post #17 of 31

Wow Legos are a lot more hi-tech looking then when my son was little. I used to hate stepping on those suckers with bare feet.

I think you'll fit in just fine here AlterEgoChef we "bullies" are always happy to welcome in a new member to our ever growing group. icon_biggrin.gif

weirkd Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 2:07am
post #18 of 31

Dont feel bad about being a lurker! I was that way too when I first started on here back in the day! (we had to drive five miles to the nearest dial up and it took two days to get a picture to download) lol.
Whats funny is Im a cake groopie! Yes, Hello My Name is Kim and Im a Cake Groupie! I go to shows and melt when I see FN cake stars! I talked to Bronwen on the phone and I was like "Im not Worthie!" and yes, I did say that!! She must of thought I was a total moron but I couldnt help myself. I could have someone like Tom Cruise walk by me and would be like so what but I see a cake start and I get all giggly and act like a school girl over it! I actually made friends with one of my cake superiors on here and called myself her Cake Staulker. She thought I was funny and we've been friends ever since! So glad you are inputting your 2 cents! Dont ever think that your opinion doesnt matter on here or that you have nothing to offer because before you know it you will see a post and say "Hey! I can help!" and then you my friend become a forum addict!! icon_smile.gif

CakeMommyTX Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 2:10am
post #19 of 31

FromScratch Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 2:13am
post #20 of 31

Oh yay!!! Another snarky caker!!! (and, no, I am not being sarcastic) icon_wink.gif

I think you will fit in just fine around here. We can't swear here (and it really is too bad) but Q-Bert symbols are easily translated... icon_lol.gif.

Can't wait to see your Bionicle cake. I will be making a Lego Death Star in September for my son... and a 3-D standing Picachu for my daughter for the 27th of this month. The things we do for our kiddos... heheh.

Welcome to the posting side of CC.

Donnabugg Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 2:15am
post #21 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgoChef

Hey there everyone!

So I'm Kristin, and I am FORCING myself out of the cake closet, as it were. I've been on the site for a couple of months now, and I have learned SO FREAKIN' MUCH from y'all...but I never post because what on earth could I possibly have to add (other than some high quality snark)???

But I love this site, I love what everyone has to offer, and I love the amazing work I see...so, #&*(!, I officially need to stop being the creepy girl in the cake corner, twirling her hair and muttering "that's so cool...." under her breath. lol

One of these days I'll have the guts to, I don't know, post pictures of my work??? What kind of insanity would THAT be??? Probably the same insanity that drives people to pay me actual money for this stuff. Wha???? : )

"Hi, my name is Donna and I'm a cakecentral addict"....
AlterEgo...Welcome! I did the same thing as you when I first joined. I love your post and I love your sarcastic humor...your post actually made me laugh right out loud!! icon_lol.gif
Happy Cakin girlfriend!!

kayakgirl13 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 2:31am
post #22 of 31

Hello, I'm a long-time lurker too. I could spend days at a time on cake central just looking at cake pictures... I do comment on a lot of pics, just haven't been brave enough for the forums until now. Just wanted to say "hi" and thanks for all the great ideas and advice people post on these forums!

Deb_ Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 2:38am
post #23 of 31

Welcome Kayakgirl! icon_biggrin.gif

CakeMommyJeni Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 2:40am
post #24 of 31

I am a lerker slowly coming out of the closet!

Renaejrk Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 2:53am
post #25 of 31

Welcome! I'm glad you came out of the "closet"!

LaBellaFlor Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 3:01am
post #26 of 31

I Knew what Bionicles were. icon_razz.gif ...I also have an 11 year old son, so maybe I have an unfair advantage.

And see, I said we liked high quality snarks around here...you bully! icon_biggrin.gif

arbakes Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 3:12am
post #27 of 31

This post couldn't have come at a more perfect time!!! I'm guilty too! icon_redface.gif I hope one day I gain enough knowledge to be able to help someone else out. You guys are all great and I look forward to seeing what everyone has to say everyday...it's very informative AND entertaining icon_lol.gif

AverageMom Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 3:14am
post #28 of 31

I am not a newbie, but I still feel like one! I for one love the brutally honest responses. If it's snarky, so be it. That's better than choking on the saccharine sweetness of the "Rainbows and Kitties" club.

LaBellaFlor Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 3:20am
post #29 of 31

You know what frustrates me with people saying "Brutal honest", no one is trying to be brutally honest. I don't care what forum it gets out in, but people ask a lot of business related questions, and they get answers from business minded people...who tend to be blunt...and not to mention women. Women in business tend to have a tougher outer layer and don't quibble much.

And I know I'm off topic, but that just reminded me of another thread. Sorry icon_biggrin.gif And thats another thing we do a lot on C.C., change the subject! icon_wink.gif

costumeczar Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 12:20pm
post #30 of 31

Yeah, nobody here will really insult you unless you deserve it icon_twisted.gif Seriously, a lot of people here will give you the straight up truth about a question, and if you're asking to get a real answer you'll be fine. However, if you're asking to have everyone mollycoddle you and tell you what you want to hear instead of the truth of the situation, you'd better gather up your puppies and rainbows and haul them out of here. Especially on the business forum, that's where the hard truth comes down icon_lol.gif

At the beginning of my sophomore year of college my roommate and I decided that we had been too sarcastic and snarky during our freshman year, so we were going to be sweet and nice from then on. I told my mother, and she said "When you two get together you two couldn't be sweet and nice if you tried." icon_surprised.gif My own mother! But she was right, it lasted for about ten minutes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%