Wedding Cake- Do You Charge Your Relatives?

Decorating By iris219 Updated 17 Feb 2010 , 8:28pm by iris219

iris219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iris219 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 12:17am
post #1 of 26

I just found out that my niece is getting married at the end of this month and she wants me to make the wedding cake icon_eek.gif . This is so last minute. I haven't been able to practice making a wedding cake yet. That wasn't in my plans until the summer when things slow down some for me.

She is leaving it up to me, her colors are red and white. She does want butter cream frosting, vanilla cake with strawberry filling and roses on the cake. The type of roses it does not matter to her. She wants to get all the supplies needed to make the cake, plus I need to deliver it to the reception. So, my question is... would you charge a relative for the labor of making the wedding cake?

I really would appreciated any feed back on this. Thank you.

25 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 12:22am
post #2 of 26

Depends. For my niece who is getting married, no I would not charge her. But my for another niece I know, I would give a discount. It just depends.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 12:22am
post #3 of 26

It's a personal thing and really it depends on how close you are with the particular family member.

I've made all 14 of my nieces and nephews wedding cakes for free as my gift to them. I'm very close to all of them though so it never would have crossed my mind to charge them.

But every family is different.

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 12:24am
post #4 of 26

For me it would be dependant on my relationship with my niece. If we were close I would expect her to pay for the supplies but would not charge for my time but if we did not have much contact I would treat her like any other customer but may consider a 10% discount

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 12:30am
post #5 of 26

I will be making my 2nd wedding cake in May. My first was for a niece and this one is for a nephew and his bride. I can't sell cakes. When they asked me to do their cake, I told them I would do it as their gift if they would like. They were thrilled. I hope they're still thrilled when they see it on their wedding day! icon_smile.gif

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 12:35am
post #6 of 26

I don't charge for family members and close friends. It is their gift.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 12:41am
post #7 of 26

There is no rule for family discounts, do what makes you happy and satisfied. I would suggest since it is such short notice, that you put some limits on it.

For example that you do it in such a way that it uses only techniques you already know. Like if you aren't already comfortable with making roses that she use silk or real roses instead of BC. If you don't have a strawberry filling you love, that it is a BC filling.

If you don't want to tackle stacking try a stand something like Wilton Graceful Tiers stand or Cakes N More 3 tier party stand (with the bride buying it) or some other creative option by placing individual tiers on separate plates placed at different heights. Then it would just be a series of cakes that your are already comfortable with. Denette

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 12:42am
post #8 of 26

I was going to do my 1st cousins cake for cost of ingredients. I am doing a cake for my hubby's 1st cousin in May and basically added up how much a regular person would pay. I cut that price in half. She is paying 1/2 the cake total (labor), $75 in supplies and buying the sugar flowers.

This is a 200 serving cake so I think its pretty fair. And I did actually turn another wedding order down for that same weekend because of her cake. Its definitely a personal choice on your part.

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 12:45am
post #9 of 26

Ditto to all:

It depends on what family member, I have a niece in particular who I cant stand if she were to ask I would probably refuse.

Yet I have another one that I wouln't even think about it twice, and would be thrilled to make it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 1:46am
post #10 of 26

Each person handles family requests different. I established a policy that I would offer the cake to nieces/nephews as my gift to them if they wanted it. If they didn't, that was fine, too, because it meant I got to be "just a guest" at the wedding for a change! thumbs_up.gif

I draw the line at nephews/nieces, and it's if I offer it. Oh, and the BIG part of the deal: If I start getting a bridezilla attitude (from ANYONE, so keep your whining mom and bossy maid of honor outta my face!), then YOU get a full price invoice! icon_twisted.gif

BUt I have a great family and have never had to invoke the "full invoice" part! thumbs_up.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 3:32am
post #11 of 26

My niece is too scared of me to give me Bridezilla. icon_twisted.gif And don't get me wrong, the only person she loves more then me is her Mom...who she is also more scared of. icon_biggrin.gif

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 3:50am
post #12 of 26

Let's see...my formula for pricing cakes for family is: Regular Price x 2
icon_lol.gif lol! Actually I never charge family...but sometimes they can be so much more demanding than regular customers!

Good luck with your decision and let us know how your cake turned out!

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 5:41am
post #13 of 26

i usually do the wedding cake as a gift, if they ask. I just have one rule though.. the BRIDE has final say. mothers and MIL's can't open their mouths. IT IS THE BRIDES DAY. and it is not costing the family a thing, so they cant complain.

can you tell I have traveled this path before? icon_lol.gif

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 5:46am
post #14 of 26

I have one nephew (9 yo) and DH has one nephew (14 yo). If they want me to, I'll be glad to make their cakes, but I sincerely hope they wait a good 20-25 years before getting married.

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 5:55am
post #15 of 26

Its always my gift to them. I have tons of relatives so it does get overwelming, just glad that they don't all get married at the same time.

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 6:51am
post #16 of 26

I think it depends as well. Both of the wedding cakes I made were my wedding gift to the couple - Mind you the cakes were for my younger brother's wedding and my little sister's wedding (Both in the same year - it was a busy year for me in 2007). Thankfully my family is really easy going and I asked for some input as to what types of things they liked but overall the designs were completely up to me - They just asked for a few elements like colors or themes and I ran with it. It was wonderful and the most stressed I have ever been with cakes. On the other hand it put future cakes into perspective for me and I don't get nearly so worked up and emotional over cake annoyances now.

I would never have taken a dime from my siblings but that is because they respect me and I them so no tension about things or crazy demands and i was payed in full by their appreciation (especially since they saw how many hours went into it. LOL) My brother actually took a picture of the cake I made to someone local to where he lived to see what the cake would have cost (only because I refused to tell him as I don't like to put prices on gifts LOL.) and was even more appreciative to me when he heard the price. He phoned to tell me.

Sorry - it's late and I am afraid I started rambling. Basically, decide if you want this to be a gift to them or if you are more comfortable keeping things business like. It really is your call - my rule if cakes are gifts is you can tell me things like colors, theme, favorite hobbies, Cake flavors etc - the design is up to me.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 1:38pm
post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

I have one nephew (9 yo) and DH has one nephew (14 yo). If they want me to, I'll be glad to make their cakes, but I sincerely hope they wait a good 20-25 years before getting married.

In 2008, hubby's nephew got married on Saturday 6-7-08 and then MY nephew got married on Friday, 6-13-08. I also did the catering for them 'at cost'. 2 freebies inside of 6 days. It was a little stressful (plus I had to drive 150 miles round trip to the weddings), but they were both SO appreciative!

iris219 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 2:54pm
post #18 of 26

Thank you everyone for your input. This helps a lot.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 2:58pm
post #19 of 26

I would assume if she's offering to buy the ingredients she's either

A. assuming you'll donate your labor free of charge

B. assuming since she's buying all the flour, sugar, etc. (that's all cake is right?) then she can still expect a decent gift from you in addition to the cake

Depends on what type of person she is.......either way I think she's probably expecting the cake for free

Merry1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Merry1227 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 3:28pm
post #20 of 26

If I was making a cake for family and they wanted to pay for the materials, I would go out and get the things I needed either with them there or price them and have them pay me the money before getting the materials. Only because I know what works and what doesn't. Also I would make sure they knew that was the present. No toaster, blender, or cash. I tell everyone I make a cake for, "This is my hobby. I can not guaranty the cake will be perfect. I will do my best! and make sure the cake does not fall apart. But if you want something that looks like its a Duff or other professional then I would go to them."

Now that said I work harder on family cakes because I have to see these people again! LOL

If you want to charge I would give a discount. But even family needs to know this is a lot of work! Its not just a cake mix and some icing! And it doesn't take 3 hours!!

But also know you do for one, be sure others will find out and you'll be the free family baker for the rest of your life!!!

Merry

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 3:43pm
post #21 of 26

Last June my sister got married. She did not want her wedding cake as her gift. So my mom paid for it. Plus I had to turn down a bunch of other cakes for her. I didn't charge my mom the delivery fee that I normally would but she did pay for the cake. Does that make me sound bad?

jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 4:01pm
post #22 of 26

I agree also with it depending on how close you are to your neice. I would probably say cost or a nice discounted price.

For friends, I tell them that I will take $50 off the total price of the cake and that is their gift. When you give the "gift" a $ value, they dont' mind paying the rest. And in the scheme of things, $50 is probably what would be spent on a gift anyway and you don't have to go shopping!

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 4:31pm
post #23 of 26

I don't have nieces or nephews old enough to be dating so I haven't considered what I'd do for them but I will only do wedding cakes for material costs for my siblings because they're too much work. I have way too many cousins to do that for and the only one I'm close to is married already.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 4:54pm
post #24 of 26

If you choose to do it for her as a gift, make sure she knows that the cake is her gift from you. Or she can pay you and you also buy her a gift, or a cash gift of...... exactly what she paid you for the cake.
You know already if she's the type who will appreciate you gifting her the cake and if you feel close enough to her to make that offer. If not it's easy enough to simply say you don't feel confident enough to do the job for her.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 5:22pm
post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenncowin

I agree also with it depending on how close you are to your neice. I would probably say cost or a nice discounted price.

For friends, I tell them that I will take $50 off the total price of the cake and that is their gift. When you give the "gift" a $ value, they dont' mind paying the rest. And in the scheme of things, $50 is probably what would be spent on a gift anyway and you don't have to go shopping!

Haha! Yup, this is going to be me if/when a certain friend gets married! I have always made her a birthday cake as a gift, so she kinda now expects it. However, this year, there will be no cake for her unless she pays me (with 10% discount). Why? All I got for my birthday last year was a bottle of red wine - I rarely drink, and if I do it's not red wine as it makes me ill. This she KNOWS, so I felt really PO'd with that totally thoughtless gift (still do - can you tell?! icon_razz.gif )! So, when she finally gets married, if she wants a cake from me, she can have it with 10% off (as my gift). Cos honey, would I be buying you a $600 value gift - uh no, so you ain't getting your cake for free!

iris219 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 8:28pm
post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRowesHunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenncowin

so you ain't getting your cake for free!

icon_lol.gif I can really relate to this!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%