Donating Gift Certificates?

Business By karenm0712 Updated 23 Feb 2010 , 12:52pm by cakesbycathy

karenm0712 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 9:24pm
post #1 of 10

I have been asked to donate a gift certificate to a local school fundraiser, which I am happy to do. This will get my name in their brochure as well as on a website.

To those who have donated gift certificates, do you have a particular dollar amount that you give? My minimum order is $35 right now and was thinking of going with that amount....

Also, any templates out there that I could look at? I did see KHalstead's certificate which I love, but are there any others? My search didn't really come up with anything.

TIA!
Karen

9 replies
karenm0712 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 10:17pm
post #2 of 10

I also thought about just donating a GC for a dozen or two cupcakes w/limitations on flavors? Does anyone have any experience on what worked better for them?

TexasSugar Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 11:29pm
post #3 of 10

Personally I think you are better off if you get specfic on what you offer. Either a cake based off of price or servings. That way you don't have someone coming in wanting a 3 teired wedding cake with it.

I'd list out cake size and flavors. If you do a couple you can do a white cake variation and a chocolate cake varation. Or what ever is your best sellers.

I'd also be sure to make a note about how much time in advance they need to place the 'order' using the GC. That way you don't get a call Saturday morning wanting a cake for Saturday afternoon.

And I'd be sure to list the value of the cake, so that they know what it would cost them normally.

TammyH Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 11:31pm
post #4 of 10

I have donated GC a few times... you've recived good advice already. The only thing I woud add is to put an expiration-date on it. I usually put 6 months to a year.

HTH

TammyH

karenm0712 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 2:19am
post #5 of 10

I must have "contact me I donate" writtten all over my facebook page - people are asking me left and right to donate certificates to fundraisers/auctions! I need to get my name out there, but DANG really people?!

Sorry, just had to vent!

justducky Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 2:25am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenm0712

I must have "contact me I donate" writtten all over my facebook page - people are asking me left and right to donate certificates to fundraisers/auctions! I need to get my name out there, but DANG really people?!

Sorry, just had to vent!

I used to be asked alot also. I wrote up a policy that I posted that said requests for donations must be made in writing, on the letterhead of the non profit. I explain that I have a quarterly budget for donations and I do not exceed it.

cakesbycathy Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 2:46am
post #7 of 10

Be very specific on what they can redeem with the certificate.

Mine typically are for an 8 inch round.
I put on there that it will feed 15-20 people.
They can have their choice of cake flavor and filling.
At least 2 weeks notice is required for redemption and is based upon my availability.
Delivery of the cake is not included.
Expiration date of 6 months.
They can apply the value of the certificate towards a higher order (so if the certificate is worth $50 then they can order $100 worth of cake and pay $50 out of pocket - make sense?)

karenm0712 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 2:48am
post #8 of 10

I just might have to do that! I hate to say no, but I just can't afford to donate to everyone...on average I get 2 paid orders a month... icon_sad.gif

karenm0712 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 3:07am
post #9 of 10

Thanks Cathy! Definitely going to do that!

Does anyone have a template they are willing to share? I looked online for some, but didn't find any that really struck my fancy.

cakesbycathy Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 12:52pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenm0712

I just might have to do that! I hate to say no, but I just can't afford to donate to everyone...on average I get 2 paid orders a month... icon_sad.gif

I choose 2 things I will donate to for the year. One is the fundraiser my kids school has every year and the other varies from year to year. This year it's the Boy Scouts annual auction.

You can always tell people that contact you for a donation "Sorry, but we've already reached our donation quota for the year." No one should take it personally. Chances are lots of people are telling them the same thing and it's just part of soliciting donations.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%