How To Make Silver "paint"?

Decorating By staceylilycakes Updated 17 Feb 2010 , 12:47am by julzs71

staceylilycakes Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 9:22pm
post #1 of 5

I need to make a tire cake. I need silver color for the rim. How do you do that?

Thanks!!

4 replies
misabel99 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 9:27pm
post #2 of 5

You can buy it from americolor

superwawa Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 9:55pm
post #3 of 5

Hi staceylilycakes - welcome to CC!

What will the rim be made out of? Fondant? Gumpaste? If so, what many people do is wait for the fondant or GP to dry, then apply a "paint" that is made of either luster dust or pearl dust (gray-silver) or disco dust (chrome-silver) mixed with either vodka or lemon extract. The key is to use something alcohol-based and clear, not water. This will allow it to dry very quickly.

Does that help?

I also find that if I am going to paint fondant/GP silver it helps to start with gray fondant/GP rather than white.

staceylilycakes Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 12:34am
post #4 of 5

Thank you for the help ladies. It is going to be fondant, so I will start with the gray color then paint it with the glitter dust/ vodka mix. I need it Friday, so I can't order the americolor in time.

Thank you for you time!

Stacey

julzs71 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 12:47am
post #5 of 5

I think the disco dust will be too sparkly for this. Someone just asked about gold color and I copy and pasted one from ShirleyW.
here it is
I just copy and hasted this from one of shirleyw's postings.
I have the perfect answer for you, got this hint from the customer service rep. at Creative Cutters in Canada. Mix 3 parts gold luster dust with 1 part Super Pearl luster dust, thin with alcohol or Everclear and paint it on. The same works for shiny silver or chrome, mix 3 parts Nu Silver luster dust with 1 part Super Pearl Luster dust.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%