Can You Make Your Own Airbrush Color?

Decorating By montanamommy Updated 8 Jul 2016 , 6:32pm by Miss.Reynolds

montanamommy Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 8:57pm
post #1 of 11

Can you use regular paste or gel food coloring & thin it down for use in an airbrush or does one just have to break down and buy airbrush color?

Thanks,
Andrea

10 replies
tesso Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 9:13pm
post #2 of 11

personally, i would break down and buy amerimist, i just dont like dealing with clogs. you might want to give this place a try. it is one of the places i buy my colors...

http://www.americolor.org/70_oz_AmeriColor_Amerimist_Color_s/25.htm

if you decide to make your own or find a method to keep from clogging PLEASE let me know. I am all for saving money. icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 9:14pm
post #3 of 11

I use airbrush color. I can never get color pastes completely dissolved and the lumps would clog the airbrush.

I also use the airbrush colors for painting as well.

misabel99 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 9:37pm
post #4 of 11

Yes I use vodka (the cheapest one) to dissolve my gel food colors and never had a problem.

kristiemarie Posted 16 May 2011 , 2:18pm
post #5 of 11

This is a little late in coming but how much do you put in? How thin do you make it?

Mark-Mexicano Posted 16 May 2011 , 2:45pm
post #6 of 11

I use gel color and vodka as well. It may take a bit to get the coloring to completely dissolve. I use a small paint brush to work the coloring into the vodka. The amount completely depends on how deep you want the color.

Balicup Posted 16 Jan 2015 , 12:43am
post #7 of 11

ACan Bacardi be used instead of vodka to thin gel colour for airbrushing?

misabel99 Posted 19 Jan 2015 , 4:33am
post #8 of 11

ANo barcadi will affect the color because it's dark

badassbakerbabe Posted 30 Jan 2016 , 5:49pm
post #9 of 11

Hey! 

Has anyone done any more experimenting with the vodka/gel colours as airbrush colours? Does anyone have any photos/videos? 

Thanks!

Welsh4life Posted 21 May 2016 , 3:51am
post #10 of 11

Worked like a charm!  Thanks.  I usually use the airbrush paint, but was out of maroon and needed to make some at 11pm.  This worked perfectly thanks.

Miss.Reynolds Posted 8 Jul 2016 , 6:32pm
post #11 of 11

I am sooo late on this reply but I wanted to add something. Wilton has given me the MOST none clogging airbrush paint ever! I know people are a little hung up on Wilton products here on CC but I  like to buy their gel food colors because of the pricing they have at my local Walmart. I dilute about 1/4 tsp of Wilton Gel food coloring in a little more than an 1/8th of a cup of vodka, but less than a 1/4th cup. Then I STIR STIR STIR! I find it easier to use two toothpicks together and stir like a mad man! :) I have used this on the book in my pictures as well as the shoe box black on the converse cake. One time I thought I was buying an Amerimist airbrush color and it ended up being the food gel color. I thought "what the heck I'll just dilute it. . " But it did not come out smooth and lump free like the Wilton Brand. I hope this helps a money saver in need like myself grinning.png

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%