Anyone Ever Used Color Mist On Candy Clay?

Decorating By kitty122000 Updated 18 Feb 2010 , 4:40pm by kitty122000

kitty122000 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 8:28pm
post #1 of 8

I dont have access to an airbrush and thought about using Wilton's color mist to stencil on flames to the front of a semi-truck cake. they will be red and blue. do you think this will be faster than hand painting it on? the cab of the truck will be made out of RKT's and candy clay preferred.
thanks for your opinions!

7 replies
kitty122000 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 8

no one likes this stuff enough to promote it huh? or just not on candy clay? Maybe I'll put gumpaste panels on the front.

sadsmile Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 5:01pm
post #3 of 8

It's messy and hard to control. Takes a lot of practice to achieve a uniformed look. I would say it would go on but might bead up and look funny and not dry on chocolate. I would paint on fondant or gum paste.

HamSquad Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 5:08pm
post #4 of 8

Hi, I've used the Wilton Color Spray on Fondant flowers. It is sort of weird using it. From my experience with fondant, I had to spray 1 coat at time or the color mottles or look grayish in spots. It gets every where, so cover or spray so that it doesn't get all over your counter. I don't have an airbrush yet, so for certain effects, yes I do use them. Practice, first before turning it on your project. HTH
Hamsquad(Name given by Sister from "Over the Hedge" character, I call her Vern)LOL

kitty122000 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 5:20am
post #5 of 8

thanks for the responses I appreciate it! I've already bought the stuff so I'll see how it goes on something other than the cake and figure it out. thanks again!

kickasscakes Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 5:31am
post #6 of 8

I do remember a mess using them, I remember a lot of over spray everywhere, and I remember having to do many coats to get the color I expected from it.
No airbrush either.

sadsmile Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 3:26pm
post #7 of 8

Oh hey I thought of something else! if you could work a little PS and CS into your candy clay it would help give something for the color to grab onto and absorb into. I saw a chef recipe for white candy clay and she had added about 1 TBSP(flat not heaped) to it for extra body and mold-ability in hotter environments. The chocolate and the corn syrup really don't have any body that would grab a water based product on the surface but I think by adding a little of both it just might work for what you are thinking. HTH!

kitty122000 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 4:40pm
post #8 of 8

I'll be working on it today, I havent made any candy clay yet so we'll see how it works out. thanks for the help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%