Help~! Baby's First Birthday Cake

Decorating By sakunizm Updated 18 Feb 2010 , 4:29am by sakunizm

sakunizm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sakunizm Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 7:55pm
post #1 of 4

http://blog.naver.com/jangyah/99697915 <--- the cake picture.

I am making this cake for my baby boy's first birthday next month and I've never made fondant cake before.
I don't know where to start or what to get.
Please let me know what tools and ingredients to make this cake.
Please help. icon_biggrin.gif
Thank you.

3 replies
kater82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kater82 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 8:23pm
post #2 of 4

i am no pro, but i do know you will need a sturdy cake recipe. See WASC . Also you can make your own fondant. MMF is awesome. I love it and its cheap to make. The baby looks like it came from a mold. And the lace is also a mold. Fondant has some rules to it so make sure you read a little about it or you will be very frustrated. I have made a few fondant cakes and I love it. But these are a couple of things I know.

sweetpea223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea223 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 8:47pm
post #3 of 4

I am not a pro too but have made cakes and worked with store bought fondant and MMF. That cake is going to be a real work for you... the lace and the baby I know is made from a mold. You can check Global sugar art for that or Designer's Stencil for the lace mold. If you want you can get the fondant at Global if you plan to order the baby mold or wherever you find it....I've ordered Satin Ice from them, but it is a bit softer than the Wilton fondant and a little bit frustrating if you are not used to it. You will also need cake boards, cake pans if you don't have any yet, offset spatula for frosting your buttercream, rolling pin to roll out your fondant, food gel colors if you are buying a white fondant... Have you decided on what cake you are making? You will need the ingredients for that too. The little baby accessories can be made from chocolate...but you will need a mold for that too and candy melts which you may be able to find at Michael's, Hobby Lobby, Jo-Ann's (maybe) or any cake decorating store.

I hope this helps. Good Luck!

sakunizm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sakunizm Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 4:29am
post #4 of 4

It really helped. Thank you so much.
I don't know anything about fondant cake or any cake.
It is going to be a really difficult for me to make a cake. I don't even know the difference between fondant and gumpaste but
I don't want to just buy a cake. I want to make it special since it's my baby's first birthday.
I think I need to learn more and practice.
Thank you so much again.
icon_biggrin.gif

Have a great day~!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%