I Don't Know What To Do With My Life

Lounge By bea30 Updated 16 Feb 2010 , 10:55pm by bea30

bea30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bea30 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 10

I don't know if this is the appropriate place to post this. I just need some advice, insight, etc. I have been trying to figure out what to do with myself and lately have loved cake decorating. I was leaning towards catering but I find myself thinking about cakes all the time. I took the servsafe class and am certified in the sanitation and safety aspect. I have been practicing making cakes for about 6 months at home. Now what? Do I get a job? There isn't a lot out there. What do I do with myself? My kids are getting older and I need to do something. Just don't know where to start.

Has anyone been in this position? Insights? Suggestions?

9 replies
Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 7:48pm
post #2 of 10

Sorry I can't offer any real advise, but I wish you lots of luck in whatever you choose. I too love cake decorating (and baking) but feel that right now I could not make a living at it. So it's my side thing, plus here in NJ I can't legally sell from home. Maybe someday I'll be able to do it for a living icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 7:49pm
post #3 of 10

I'm sure there's a caterer or something around you that could hire you on! Then you can get a feel for it and see if its something you want to do the rest of your life, or even start your own business or not....many caterers also do cakes.

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 8:14pm
post #4 of 10

This feels like more than just a "do I start a home business" question (maybe not). A local community college used to offer a fantastic course initially designed for "displaced home-makers" - women who had long term marriages which suddenly ended and they needed to find a job. The course became so popular they extended it to everyone because so many needed help in choosing a path as their kids left home/they felt stuck in their current job, life changed. If you are looking for something meaningful to do, maybe it will involve baking maybe not, but there are many resources out there to help you narrow your search and uncover your strengths.
sorry, too blabby!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 8:46pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuddysmom

This feels like more than just a "do I start a home business" question (maybe not). A local community college used to offer a fantastic course initially designed for "displaced home-makers" - women who had long term marriages which suddenly ended and they needed to find a job. The course became so popular they extended it to everyone because so many needed help in choosing a path as their kids left home/they felt stuck in their current job, life changed. If you are looking for something meaningful to do, maybe it will involve baking maybe not, but there are many resources out there to help you narrow your search and uncover your strengths.
sorry, too blabby!

I agree, Spuddysmom, to me this is an "empty nest syndrome" question.

Bea. First, Welcome to CC. I see that you are still relatively new here.
Second, God Bless You. I have been in your shoes. My boys are now 21 and nearly 18, but three years ago, I was suffering terribly from "What does God have in store for me?" I am a nurturer, and the sense of loss I felt when the boys got too old to be taken from place to place, practice to practice, etc. was a quite overwhelming.

Through the advice of a dear friend, I got my caking instruments back out and started teaching myself all the newest trends. After much thought and RESEARCH I have come to the conclusion that I do not want to hurl myself into business for myself, but I still have not ruled out working with/for someone else when my youngest son graduates from HS. The caking itself is a good form of therapy and a great hobby so I find reasons to make friends and family cake. I am blessed, right now, to still be able to give them away as gifts.

My recommendation would be that you stay the course for a bit. If you need to work, then get a job in a bakery, grocery store bakery, or Sam's type store. You will not only pick up speed in places like this, but you will get a good feel for whether or not you want to do this for the rest of your life. Save your money. Then, if it is what you eat, drink, sleep, and bleed, set up a business plan and start the process. Simply contacting your Health Department will get you started on how complex an endeavor this might be.

I stay involved as a volunteer in the Deaf and Disabilities Ministries at my church. The different projects I am involved in there keep me busy as well. I would have to give up a lot of time I devote to them if I were to go into caking full-time. I hear many CCers speak of family birthdays, reunions, graduations and weddings they never attend because they are busy providing the cake for an occasion that does not involve their loved one. These are things I am not willing to sacrifice.

Sorry to ramble on and on, but you seem sincere in your desire to know what others have considered and decided. Whatever you decide, I pray that it is the best thing for you.

Blessings.

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 9:06pm
post #6 of 10

My Mom suffered from this same "empty nest syndrome" that you seem to be describing, and found cake decorating was a way to keep her occupied after us 3 kids left home. She did cakes mostly as gifts while she still lived in Texas, and always expressed a desire to work for a bakery, but not any of the ones in my home town. They were kind of cliquey, and my mom is not like that at all. She kept working away at it until her and my Stepdad moved to Mississippi. Now she works for a small restaurant as the baker, and loves every minute of it. She works part-time, and for minimum wage, but truly enjoys what she's doing. She's even been featured in a monthly magazine in Mississippi because of the desserts that she does for the restaurant.

It's all about finding out what you love, and being patient. I hope all the advise on here helps. icon_smile.gif

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 9:12pm
post #7 of 10

Skydive. icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 9:26pm
post #8 of 10

I agree with many of the previous posters. It sounds like you may be looking for some direction in your life. Don't just jump into something right away -- find out where your passion lies.

If you don't really need to get a job to pay the bills, try volunteering at different things. Do you like working with children? Does your heart go out to the homeless? Do you love animals? There are probably many charity organizations in your area that would LOVE to have you!

If you find that cake baking is really your thing, you could bake and donate to a local children's home or a senior center.

I hope that you find something that satisfies and fulfills you. icon_razz.gif

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 9:35pm
post #9 of 10

I think that taking a job first sounds like excellent advice, since if the thought, "I really thought I would enjoy this more than I do," crosses your mind, you will not have invested in any business expenses, and it will be easy to just quit and set your sails in another direction. You can still express your creativity with friends and family without jumping headlong into something.

bea30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bea30 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 10:55pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks everyone for the advice. I guess it is kind of empty nest syndrome...maybe more that I know I will have empty nest syndrome when my kids leave and I don't want to...my youngest is 14. I don't want to have empty nest syndrome. I want to be ready to go!

I think the advice to get a job somewhere is good. I will start looking a little harder.

And then maybe think about skydiving. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%