Just A Thank You!

Decorating By hdurbin Updated 17 Feb 2010 , 1:31pm by hdurbin

hdurbin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hdurbin Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 4:32pm
post #1 of 20

I have been a member and reading so much in the last two weeks my eyes are tired! I just wanted to say thank you, you ALL are so wonderful and so full of knowledge. I love the fact that you are willing to help everyone out. Most people will not give any advice out of fear I guess that someone could do it better than they can. I have never taken a class and did my first cake at the end of January for my son's b-day. All of the reading and help you all put out there is sooo much Appreciated! If it were'nt for like you, someone linke me could have never made a cake that my little boy loved so much..

THANK YOU!!!

19 replies
cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 4:56pm
post #2 of 20

Well ok, so I'll be the first to say it. I officially hate you. A newbie with talent like this? You're a natural. (j/k) Wow, you have some talent there. Your cakes are absolutely fantastic. Your Thomas cake went right into my favorites. Keep up the fantastic work.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 4:59pm
post #3 of 20

Welcome to cc - now with your talent, people are going to be asking you how you did things! Are you sure you just started decorating?

hdurbin Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 5:28pm
post #4 of 20

Thank you so much! Honestly before the Mario cake the only cakes I have ever made were a box mix and tub of icing lol. I have watched the cake shows for a long time thinking I would love to try it, but always figured there was no way some one like myself could do it.

I had so much fun with fondant. Waiting for the next occasion so I can try again. I dont think the piping and butter cream are for me. I have tried using the bag but end up with a mess. I want to go and take the classes at Michaels but my husband says why waste the money.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 5:32pm
post #5 of 20

WOW!!! No classes, and cakes like those?? You certainly are a natural at this. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your creations! icon_smile.gif

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 6:04pm
post #6 of 20

don't give up on buttercream! here's a post that will help cut down on the mess:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-588591-striping.html

Wilton classes go on sale frequently at Michaels and Hobby Lobby. You'll definitely learn something, so keep your eye out for them.

I am also very jealous of your talent! Keep it up and keep posting!

hdurbin Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 6:16pm
post #7 of 20

Thank you and Thanks for the link, that might just help.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 11:03pm
post #8 of 20

I, too, am self taught and this place is amazing to me as well! I call it "going to cake class online" LOL! I was always good at cakes but since joining this place my artistry has gone up by miles! I love that so many people are ready to help and give tips and flat out teach you how they did something. It's truly wonderful!

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 11:08pm
post #9 of 20

hi. welcome. love the cakes. i agree this place is wonderful. I took 1 wilton class and it was a lot of fun. but almost everything i learned has been self taught. and the support here is wonderful when i run into a "cake emergency"

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 11:28pm
post #10 of 20

I am a self-taught one too. This place is great for knowledge and a laugh when you need it. You are well on your way too... very nice for your firs few cakes. icon_smile.gif

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 11:28pm
post #11 of 20

Welcome! I just looked at your photos, and you are FANTASTIC! The Thomas cake is incredible!!!! It's hard to believe you are a beginner!
You have quite a God-given talent! thumbs_up.gif

hdurbin Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 11:45pm
post #12 of 20

Susan, thank you sooo much, your cakes are beautiful!!!!! Compliments from you make me feel wonderful!!!

GL79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GL79 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 11:53pm
post #13 of 20

I just looked at your cakes and all I have to say is:
Wow, Wow, Wow!!!!!
I can't believe they're your first cakes. Keep up the good work

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 12:57am
post #14 of 20

hello, wow nice work....

If you want to learn by yourself Professional Cake Decorating book by Toba Garrett is a great book

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-669005.html

you can download for free...

keep up!!!!!

hdurbin Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 1:10am
post #15 of 20

Thank you Cristi. Downloading right now!

LuvLyrics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvLyrics Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 2:23am
post #16 of 20

Welcome to CC, and great job on the cakes!!! Are you sure you are a newbie...I am one too, but my work is not even near to what you are doing!! keep up the good job, and welcome aboard !!!
Anna

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 2:26am
post #17 of 20

Welcome and I am with the others if those are your first cakes I can't wait to see more! Great job!

PumpkinTart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PumpkinTart Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 2:41am
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdurbin

I had so much fun with fondant. Waiting for the next occasion so I can try again. I dont think the piping and butter cream are for me. I have tried using the bag but end up with a mess.

I don't know if you've tried putting your icing or whatever you're piping with in plastic wrap before you put it in the pastry bag but it's made a WORLD of difference to me. You just roll it up like a tootsie roll, cut off one end and slide it into the pastry bag and pipe away.

First of all, it's so much easier to fill the bag this way. Secondly, and more importantly for me at least is the plastic wrap inside the bag just makes the bag easier to handle. Not sure why but it's incredibly easier for me to pipe this way. Not to mention, clean up is a breeze!

Keep up the great work! Your cakes are amazing!

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 3:19am
post #19 of 20

The amazing cakes you created - omg - amazing!!!! Your fondant figures are totally pro too!!! The only thing that gives you away as a newbie is using a cookie sheet as a cake board - teehee - that was cuteicon_smile.gif

hdurbin Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 1:31pm
post #20 of 20

luvmysmoother - ah the cookie sheet, yes I had nothing else around to put it on lol.

Thank you all for the comments.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%