Wilton Bake Even Strips

Decorating By cakesage Updated 16 Feb 2010 , 11:36pm by cakesage

cakesage Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 4:28pm
post #1 of 16

I would like to know anyone's experience with Wilton Bake Even cake strips? Before purchasing one, I want to know what you guys and gals think. You always help me save money. Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

15 replies
brgrassmyer Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 16

Hi I really like the bake even strips. Perfect cakes everytime. here is a link to my blog and I posted about them. Also, they are even better if you use the coupons at the craft stores.
http://wiltonmethod.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-approve.html

HTH icon_biggrin.gif

Christy0722 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 4:59pm
post #3 of 16

I absolutely love mine! I use them with every cake I bake now. Until I started using them religiously, I always got the huge dome center and wasted so much cake trying to get them level. I have found if I soak them in hot water they seem to do a little better. Two thumbs up in my recipe book!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

TexasSugar Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 5:04pm
post #4 of 16

I've been using them on almost every cake for years now. They work in my oven and on my cakes.

josumiko Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 5:11pm
post #5 of 16

If you really want to save money, i read on here that damp papertowels wrapped in foil and then wrapped around the cake pan worked, so i tried it and it works like a champ! It may be a little more time consuming (i don't know, i have never tried using the bake even strips), but i always have paper towels and foil in my house, and i can make the strips whatever size i want, and i didn't have to spend any extra money!!!! always a plus in my book icon_wink.gif

kileyscakes Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 5:18pm
post #6 of 16

I use an old bath towel cut the strips myself and then dampen them and pin them to the pan and they work great!! also right when the cake comes out of the oven and if you have any domes or anything to take a towel and press down on it and that will even it out.

TexasSugar Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 5:20pm
post #7 of 16

Josumiko, aren't you still spending extra money? Every paper towel and every amount of foil you use adds up.

I have some I have been using for over 8 years. So they last a while.

You are looking at something like $12 with the 40% off coupon for the package of 4 at Michaels. Something like $6 with coupon for the for the smaller package of them. I'm thinking if you can use them for 5-10 years or more, it is not a bad investment.

Win Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 5:50pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Josumiko, aren't you still spending extra money? Every paper towel and every amount of foil you use adds up.

I have some I have been using for over 8 years. So they last a while.

You are looking at something like $12 with the 40% off coupon for the package of 4 at Michaels. Something like $6 with coupon for the for the smaller package of them. I'm thinking if you can use them for 5-10 years or more, it is not a bad investment.

I would tend to agree with this. Paper towels add up so very quickly! I don't many people remember to count them in their "expense" column when factoring in the cost to make a cake.

Even better than the 40% coupon is the 50% JoAnn Fabric currently running! That's a big "hootie-hoo." (You need to sign up for them to be sent to you via email.)

I LOVE my bake strips!!! What I did was buy two of the large packs and cut some of them into smaller strips so I can use three at a time. Example, the smaller pack only allows for two 8" cakes at a time. By cutting up the 16" (circumference) strip in the large pack, I was able to get more small-sized strips in. As well, with the savings of the 50% coupon, I got two large packs for the cost of one.

The only other adaption I've made is to ditch the pin they include in the packs. I never got a tight fit with them. I use small office clips clamped at the seam and never have issues with slippage.

http://papergoddess.typepad.com/we_will_always_have_paris/2009/08/printable-coupon-links-updated-1.html

kater82 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 6:15pm
post #9 of 16

i used my bake even strips and like the results. Did anyone find that they have to bake the cake longer? Or the same amount of time?

TexasSugar Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 6:40pm
post #10 of 16

I also bake at 325, so that slows the cooking down. Not sure what the difference is with the strips and a 350 oven.

Win Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 7:05pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I also bake at 325, so that slows the cooking down. Not sure what the difference is with the strips and a 350 oven.

I've seen no difference at any temp.

FierceConfections Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 7:20pm
post #12 of 16

Like kileyscakes, I cut up an old bath towel so that I have custom made strips to fit all of my pans. I soak them in warm water first, then I fasten them around the pan using metal binder clips. I think a box of binder clips cost me $5 or $6.

miasuzzette Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 7:53pm
post #13 of 16

thumbs_up.gif I started using the Flower Nails, You put in the batter and then put the Flower Nails in the middle and it really works. Try it and you won't go back to the Strips...

Margie thumbs_up.gif

LEHLA Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 8:25pm
post #14 of 16

I too have just started using the flower nail and it works wonders, I like it much better then the strips! thumbs_up.gif

Rosa2745 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 8:56pm
post #15 of 16

I really like the strips. The only thing is that they do take a little longer to bake (for myself at least). The edges also come out very soft, which I love because I hate hard edges. The only thing I can suggest is to MAKE sure your strips are wet all over. I once slightly burned mine because an area was a little dry. HA! Learned not to do that again.

cakesage Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 11:36pm
post #16 of 16

Thank you all for your suggestions and comments. Can't wait to get my strips! You guys are the best!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%