What To Do With Mountains Of Back Issues Of Food Magazines?

Lounge By crazyladybaker Updated 19 Feb 2010 , 5:18pm by AverageMom

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 3:13pm
post #1 of 19

Hey all. I need some input. I have a mountain...(I am not joking either), of back issues of food/cooking magazines. I don't know why I keep them all. I really must have issues icon_biggrin.gif

Anyway, I have about 6-7 of the past years subscriptions to these magazines stacked up in the corner. They really need to go but I was hoping to make a buck with them. Do you think it would be worth trying to sell them and if so where would you advertise? Do you think I could get say...$20 for them all?

I have considered Craigslist and eBay. The whole shipping issue would kill the sale on eBay though.

Here is a partial list of the mags I have:
Southern Living
Cooking Light
Bon Apetite
Gourmet
Food & Wine
Paula Deen (all but first issue)
Food Network Magazine (all issues)

or...should I quit being a pack rat and cart them off to Goodwill?

18 replies
Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 3:16pm
post #2 of 19

Library, Womens shelter.

Mike

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 3:19pm
post #3 of 19

Put them on Craigslist and see whether any wants them, if not, donate. Last resort, clip anything interesting and recycle the remainder!

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 3:22pm
post #4 of 19

Donate them to:
Waiting room at your Drs Surgery.
Waiting room at your local Hospital.
Church Hall - so as they can sell them at their next stall day.
Primary School - for children to *cut and paste*
Red Cross - Blood Bank waiting room.

Bluehue.

crazyladybaker Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 3:40pm
post #5 of 19

I didn't even think about donating them. I guess I didn't think anyone would be interested in back issues unless they were cooking addicts like myself.
Great idea! Thanks for the input icon_lol.gif

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 3:46pm
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyladybaker

I didn't even think about donating them. I guess I didn't think anyone would be interested in back issues unless they were cooking addicts like myself.
Great idea! Thanks for the input icon_lol.gif

Oh yes Dr's offices are great places. I think people must take the good ones at my Dr's offices because all that's left are Photography and Golf...lol

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 3:52pm
post #7 of 19

Back issues an lots of magazines will sell on ebay...I've got one lady I buy old one's from quite regulary.

On the issue of donating though..have you thought baout giving them to the local high school FCCLA program or technical program. I take old cookbooks an such to our high school an the teacher gives them to those girls that really enjoy cooking an such but that can't afford to buy any.

crazyladybaker Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 4:02pm
post #8 of 19

JustToEatCake- I must confess I have ripped a page out of a magazine while in the waiting area before..ahahahaa icon_surprised.gif

Katie-bug - Our school has a Home Ec class so that is an option I hadn't thought off either.

Thanks!

ihavasweet2th Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ihavasweet2th Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 2:32am
post #9 of 19

I take my used magazines to our local hospital. The hospital volunteers place them in the various waiting areas. I bet nursing homes would enjoy having them too.

~ihavasweet2th~

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 2:46am
post #10 of 19

You may want to hang onto your Gourmet mags since it's going out of publication. They may be worth something someday.

I confess I also have literally mountains of cooking mags. Most are in boxes in a storage space!

crazyladybaker Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 11:33am
post #11 of 19

I spent several hours yesterday organizing them all and putting them in big Rubbermaid tubs.

While doing that I remembered that Gourmet Mag is no longer in production so I think I might hang on to that one. I have the entire last year of publication and some of them are still in plastic wrap because I never got to read them.

While I was packing sorting them I was drawn to even more recipes on the cover. Wow...they have some fantastic food!

I looked at their site and Gourmet is selling their last year for $100! OUCH!

Thanks for all the input everyone!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 12:13pm
post #12 of 19

I had every Bon Appetite, going back to the 80s. Once I'd finished transfering all the recipes I wanted to keep into my computer recipe program, I brought the magazines to the library of a local college I work at. The kids, just freshly out on their own, are suddenly realizing that, without Mom around, knowing how to cook will be helpful to them. It's been a thrill seeing so many of them discover how rewarding and fun it can be.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 9:26pm
post #13 of 19

If you donate them, get a receipt for a non-cash donation for your tax return.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 2:43am
post #14 of 19

You are willing to get rid of them?!?!?!? My Dh wishes I would. NOT! icon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 3:31am
post #15 of 19

Oh darlin'! As someone who has just gone thru a "decluttering" of her life, I'm telling you to get rid of those!

If you don't get them to Goodwill or a library on Friday, then put them in the trash on Saturday!

you are on the road to being an episode of "Hoarders"!!! icon_eek.gif
icon_lol.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 3:39am
post #16 of 19

Art teachers love to get old magazines. They have MANY uses for them and can't afford to buy them.

So, truck them down to the local high school.

crazyladybaker Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 11:23am
post #17 of 19

LaBellaFlor- I really hate to get rid of them. I suppose that is obvious because some of them are 10 years old. There are so many wonderful recipes but I don't clip from magazines...weird, I know. If I find one I like I go to the web and find it and print it out and then put it in my binder. I like them all to all look the same. Is that OCD?
icon_smile.gif

debi- you bring up a great point here and it was probably one of the things that got my attention. I had been very busy last week and let the house go to shambles. I got up one morning and was ashamed of what my nice home looked like. So, I started a pile to Goodwill, crisis preg center, friends and school. I just kept working AROUND those stacks of magazines and finally kicked myself and said those have got to go! I will look like one of those people on that Hoarders show...lol

Hopefully this weekend I will be further along with this project.
Oh...btw...my hubby was beyond thrilled to see them gone from the corner..ahahaha

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 4:10pm
post #18 of 19

I TOTALLY understand. I have some that old as well and I just can't clip them either. icon_biggrin.gif I do know where to look when I am looking for something. I have Food & Wine, Gourmet ( icon_cry.gif so sad they are out of business!), Bon Appetit, Martha Stewart Weddings, Grace Ormond Wedding style, Elegant Weddings. And of course the weddings ones are all for cake photos! icon_biggrin.gif

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 5:18pm
post #19 of 19

I was going to say the same thing as Doug....give them to a high school teacher. We never get stuff like that, and we love it!
Another idea: Have a book/magazine swap. Some friends and I are doing this next month. Everyone brings books or gently loved magazines that they are finished with, and we get a new supply of reading material. It doesn't empty your house, but it changes the clutter!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%