Making Drop Flowers Ahead Of Time??

Decorating By Spectra Updated 19 Feb 2010 , 5:35pm by indydebi

Spectra Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 2:56pm
post #1 of 12

So I am in my last week of my Wilton cake course 1. So I have to make the final cake, with the roses on top, shell border on the bottom with drop flowers. It says to make the drop flowers ahead of time, but how do I do that? It is buttercream icing, medium consistency, but how do I make them ahead of time? On wax paper? Do they dry enough to lift and place on cake?? Any advice would be great! Thanks.

11 replies
q2wheels Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 2:59pm
post #2 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectra

So I am in my last week of my Wilton cake course 1. So I have to make the final cake, with the roses on top, shell border on the bottom with drop flowers. It says to make the drop flowers ahead of time, but how do I do that? It is buttercream icing, medium consistency, but how do I make them ahead of time? On wax paper? Do they dry enough to lift and place on cake?? Any advice would be great! Thanks.




I did a wedding cake (in my pics) with a TON of sweet peas...I did them on wax paper on a cookie sheet, froze them, then transferred them to a plastic storage box. Stored in the freezer til I needed them and placed them on the cake while still frozen. Worked like a charm.

HTH

ta

Spectra Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 3:12pm
post #3 of 12

Ahhh!! Freezing them!! Never thought of that!! THANK YOU!! icon_smile.gif

FACSlady Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 3:15pm
post #4 of 12

It's easiest to do them with royal icing so that they dry hard. You can make a bunch and save them to use even months from now.

TexasSugar Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 3:19pm
post #5 of 12

WMI here, use your buttercream pipe them on wax paper or parchment paper or plastic wrap and let them air dry. I usually tell my students to give them three days to dry. You can lay paper towels over them but don't cover them so they will be air tight, they need the air to dry out.

Once dry all you have to do is move the paper and those babys will just pop right off. You can pick them up and place them on the cake, but the insides will still be softish.

I give that cake, as well as two others as options for my students.

Spectra Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 3:15pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks TexasSugar!!

TexasSugar Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 8:28pm
post #7 of 12

Welcome. icon_smile.gif

Spectra Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 2:45am
post #8 of 12

Thanks Facslady. I learn all about RI next month. I've never made it, but can't wait to try it!

indydebi Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 4:33am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

WMI here, use your buttercream pipe them on wax paper or parchment paper or plastic wrap and let them air dry. I usually tell my students to give them three days to dry. You can lay paper towels over them but don't cover them so they will be air tight, they need the air to dry out.

Once dry all you have to do is move the paper and those babys will just pop right off. You can pick them up and place them on the cake, but the insides will still be softish.


Totally agree with Texas. Air dry them. Do not freeze them. If you want to freeze them AFTER they air dry, to keep them for a few weeks, ok to do that, but let that moisture escape.

Moisture, when frozen, turns to "ice". "Ice", when thawed, turns to water. That means your flowers will start to melt when moved back to room temperature.

If you read the many, many threads on FBCT (wait until you do one of these! You will LUV them!), you will see that everyone will warn you have to work fast because once you take the FBCT out of the freezer, it melts pretty quick. Flowers will do the same thing.

Air drying also makes the flowers lighter because the moisture (water) is removed from the flower. That's how you can attach them to the sides of the cake with just a blop of C icing as glue and they stay on just fine..... they are not too heavy and they won't slide down the sides.

Probably more than you were wanting to know, but I get on a roll sometimes! icon_redface.gif

Oh.....and I never use RI for anything cake. I use my BC recipe for everyting .. icing, borders, roses, drop flowers, string work. Everything.

TexasSugar Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 4:48pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

If you read the many, many threads on FBCT (wait until you do one of these! You will LUV them!), you will see that everyone will warn you have to work fast because once you take the FBCT out of the freezer, it melts pretty quick. Flowers will do the same thing.




Debi, I have always had the same thought. I think it is easier to air dry them and be able to work slower than freeze and have to rush to get them on the cake.

Spectra, you can also let your roses air dry too. I find they don't mush as easily when moving them to the cake then. icon_smile.gif

AverageMom Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 5:13pm
post #11 of 12

I've made RI flowers far in advance, but I had no idea I could be doing the same with buttercream! Thanks! Are they still edible after sitting out that long?

indydebi Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 5:35pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageMom

I've made RI flowers far in advance, but I had no idea I could be doing the same with buttercream! Thanks! Are they still edible after sitting out that long?




I make mine days ahead of time. TOTALLY edible!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%