Do You Rent Kitchen Space?

Decorating By saberger Updated 16 Feb 2010 , 6:35pm by itsacake

saberger Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 2:42pm
post #1 of 2

I am SO upset right now. I FINALLY found a kitchen to rent in a restaurant, went to the HD to get licensed, only to be sent to the zoning to get a certificate of compliance, only to be told that I can't do it because I can't have a biz within a biz. WTH?! And then I am being told that I have to appear before a committee and pay lots of $ in order to get approval for this.

I have some questions for those of you that rent a kitchen space. Besides making the arrangements with the facility for renting, what EXACTLY did you have to go through with the board of health, zoning, and all of that? I am SURE this isn't the way it should be and some communication wires are being crossed here and I would love some feedback.

Thank you!

1 reply
itsacake Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 6:35pm
post #2 of 2

Thank you![/quote]

I was just thinking about you last night and wondering how it was going for you.

In order to rent space, I had to have a business license, my own insurance, my own ServeSafe Certificate, and then the health department could issue a permit.

In trying to build my own space, I found the zoning to be a big issue. The cities and towns around here are always primarily worried about parking being sufficient for the business. I'd bet if you can show that you will be delivering cake and clients will not be coming to see you that you might be able to convince them to allow you to do this. The money they are talking about is probably for a "conditional use permit." If you can find a sympathetic planner who will actually talk to you and not just read you rules, you may be able to explain that you are a start up and just need a temporary place to do some small amount of baking and will not impact the area as a regular bakery would. Try to find out what the zoning is for the restaurant and what the regulations are for that area so you can make a good case.

Quote by @%username% on %date%