How Much Would You Charge?? Help With Prices

Decorating By Jazp Updated 17 Feb 2010 , 4:51am by Jazp

Jazp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jazp Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 5:43am
post #1 of 15

How much do you think I could charge for this cake ? how many ppl do you think it would feed? Also, I have such a hard time with my pricing, is there someone who could give me advice in this department? or a go to guide? Like x much for fondant and so on

Thanks in advance
LL

14 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 5:54am
post #2 of 15

Did you make this cake?

If so, what size cake/s did you start with.

Is the cake filled, and if so with what.

More info is always helpful, not enough info results in no responses.

HTH

Jazp Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 6:02am
post #3 of 15

No didn't make the cake, seen it here in the galleries and figured I could probably PM the creator but wanted to see if I could get maybe a "RULE OF THUMB" for my pricing by my cc'ers.

P.S
Thank you JanH

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 6:09am
post #4 of 15

The best thing to do would be figure out how many guest the person buying the cake needs to serve, then make the cake according to that. Are you in an area with a low or high budget.......like a small southern city (like me) or large city like New York?

Jazp Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 6:12am
post #5 of 15

Orlando, Fl

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 6:17am
post #6 of 15

Do you know how many guest you need to serve? Here's how I would figure it........ $3.50 x serving then cost + time on the fondant/gumpast figures. Example, if it cost you $5.00 in material for the figures, and 1 hr to do them, example of paying yourself $20xhr = $25 added to the cake cost.
You may can charge more than $3.50 x serving.... that's totally up to you icon_biggrin.gif
Hope this helps.

Jazp Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 6:30am
post #7 of 15

thank you kelli, appreciate it.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 2:48pm
post #8 of 15

If that cake was done using the Wilton T-shirt pan I'd say for a single layer you'd probably get 12-15 servings out of it.

If it is from sheet cakes carved then that would add to the cost of it.

Also remember you are charging for the number of servings they recieve, not just the number they want. If they want a cake to serve 20, but the closest size you can get to that is 30, then they pay for 30 servings.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 3:02pm
post #9 of 15

That's definitely the t-shirt pan, and I tell people that most Wilton pans will serve up to 18 (I make 24 cupcakes from the exact same amount of batter that goes into those things, so I don't think is unrealistic!).

I made this cake using that pan & fondant and I charged $75 for it:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1373428.html
If you were to include the other bits & bobs in the photo you posted, I would add on an extra $10, so around $85 total. HTH!

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 6:12pm
post #10 of 15

that's a cute idea for a cake. I would torte and fill that cake, and charge $143.

Enchantedcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Enchantedcakes Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 6:31pm
post #11 of 15

I made a very similar cake for a UCF graduate and charged $110.00 including delivery. I used an 11X15 pan (two layers with filling) and carved the shape. The price included a 10% alumni discount. you can see my version on my website: http://www.enchantedcakes.net/Picasa%20HTML%20Exports/3-D%20cake/target43.html, the cake served around 40 guests.

gypsycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gypsycake Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 6:53pm
post #12 of 15

I would carve a 1/3 sheet(35ppl) $130.00 or a 1/2 sheet(50ppl)$170.00. I am figuring out the price including all the hand modeling involved.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 7:15pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazp

Orlando, Fl

Right now it's illegal as Florida Law does not allow us to sell cake from an unlicensed kitchen. I don't have a licensed kitchen and I don't charge as I only bake for my family mostly my kids. You can't sell cake so I don't until they change the law, then I will look into doing everything under the sun to do it the right way. thumbs_up.gif
The best thing you can do is write a letter to your local State Rep and ask. There is no sponsor for a new bill that would change the law right now. But the more people who ask and plead our case the better. That's how things started in the other states that have cottage laws.
Until things change I am not sticking my neck out for a possible $5000.00 dollar fine and jail time and or probation over any cake. A few dollars are just not worth it to me.
Sure the HD has bigger fish to fry but the illegal home bakers are starting to make waves and get the attention of bloggers everywhere and local bakeries and it won't be long till that next customer is a HD rep ready to shut you down and make your life hell. icon_cry.gif You really don't want that!

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 3:44am
post #14 of 15

edited because I didn't want what I posted to be posted and it seemed to be too late to delete it.

Jazp Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 4:51am
post #15 of 15

Oh wow....I was completely aware of that ,sadsmile. Thank you sooooooo much. Yes I completely agree, the risk is so not worth it and I'm sure my husband would be very upset with me if he knew this. It was actually for a friend of his and I'm sure this will end up our gift to her. Thank you again for the fyi.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%