Its Free Cake - Just Eat It And Shut Up!

Decorating By Mrs-A Updated 24 Feb 2010 , 2:10am by sherry_lyn

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 2:14am
post #31 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by denetteb

I'm going out on a limb here with my varying opinion. I can certainly understand that it is frustrating hearing his weekly comments. However if you can take a step back, his comments sound rather helpful since you are trying new recipes. Good observation about the different size in cake balls for example or that the butter cake had a strong butter flavor. When I try something new and have friends taste it I have to push them for critiques and comments so I know if it is something I want to make again or toss the recipe. Maybe you could try to hear them as comments or critiques rather than complaints. Since he keeps coming back, he certainly does like your cakes. Denette

thanks - im all for critique as im using good quality products so i dont want to be making rubbish cakes so im happy for someone to give me some comments. my first batch of cakeballs i thought the chocolate was too thick and i asked a few ladies/friends near my office and they agreed (he wasnt one-i dont talk to this guy much) so i tried again and i got it right for the 2nd batch but thats when he emailed me about the ball sizes - i didnt own a scoop then so they werent perfectly same sized but close enough as its just cake for the office was my thoughts

i will say he and i have always been polite but never anything else other than a hello as we pass in the corridor... i hope he doesnt think hes bonding with me over cake... because hes going about it the wrong way icon_smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoir

....kill him with cake.......

heheheeheheh - thats tshirt worthy

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 2:22am
post #32 of 107

I think you are probably right about him thinking he is helping you. My Dad is a bit like that. He is actually trying to be kind and help you out but all we want him to say is good work. I get the good in what he tries to do and for the most part it rolls off me but he drives everyone else crazy.

The guy at your work probably isn't trying to be a pain in the butt. He's probably coming from a place where he wants you to be successful and thinks he is helping and would be horrified to realise he's offending you - actually probably more dumbstruck as to how he could have offended you because these types of guys are really clueless about that! I wish I could tell you how to make it stop but we haven't figured out how to stop Dad yet!

Although, I reckon your "It's free cake, just eat it and shut up" would get the point across quick! Especially if you said it in a light way!!!!! I know I'd try it!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 2:26am
post #33 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

Oh Mrs A - why set yourself up every week?

Just don't give him any and when he asks why - just say
My cakes don't like you.

Bluehue.

lol... thumbs_up.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 2:51am
post #34 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs-A

but thats when he emailed me about the ball sizes - i

LOL - he emailed you icon_surprised.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif oh phhhleaseeeee.
LOLLLL - not only do your cakes not like him - but i am disliking him also - what a toss icon_rolleyes.gif

all4cake - sometimes we just have to be blunt - icon_wink.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Bluehue.

penguinprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penguinprincess Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 3:00am
post #35 of 107

My cousin comes over once a month for dinner. He is a single guy who lives by himself, so I always go all out when I make dinner. One time, my hubby mentioned to his mom what I was making for my cousin later that week (but he did not invite them).

Sure enough, my MIL and her parents (who I adore) showed up right before my cousin did. I was working on dessert. My MIL kept going on and on about since my dinner was going to be such a heavy meal, there was no reason for me to make dessert. I told her that I always make dessert for when my cousin comes over.

After making SEVERAL more comments-- I finally told her "I am making it for Bobby- not for you-- No dessert for you!!" When my cousin showed up, she went up to him and told him how I said I always make dessert for him. He just looked at her and said "yes, she does" and that was all he said to her the whole night-- he could tell by the look on my face that I was not pleased with her being there. (I was fine with them being there-- just not her comments).

After dinner, my MIL grabbed her parents and left just before dessert was being served. I could tell his grandparents were very confused since they watched me make dessert (they only speak spanish and I don't). I m glad she finally got the hint, but bummer the grandparents left! She has never tried to invite herself to dinners for my cousin again!

It may not be fun to say "no dessert for you" but it gets the point across!

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 3:21am
post #36 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinprincess

-- No dessert for you!!"

thumbs_up.gif Awesomeee!!!
Oh, and I can translate for you any time...---no postre para usted!!--- icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 3:41am
post #37 of 107

Here's what you should do:

Jerk: This cake is too dry.
You: Really? Why do you say that?
Jerk: It's just dry.
You (Looking really interested in his answer) What do you think I should do to make it less dry?
Jerk: Uh, you could put some more butter in it.
You: Do you think more butter would affect the gluten, though?
Jerk; Uh...No, the gluten would be fine.
You (Looking confused) But I thought that you said it would make it less dry? Wouldn't you want to change the gluten development in the batter? Butter would do that, wouldn't it? Or would it be better to decrease the fat content? Would that be a better balance?
Jerk: I need to go copy something....(scurries away)

Just ask Mr. Know-it-all a lot of technical questions. If he's full of it you'll get rid of him, and if he is indeed trying to be helpful and knows what he's talking about you'll find out. If possible, do this with a lot of witnesses around, too.

Mrs-A Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 4:11am
post #38 of 107

i finally have a sig line... thanks Jamie thumbs_up.gif

jessahmir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessahmir Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 4:33am
post #39 of 107

It's funny how he says negative things about your cakes, but then stuffs his face with it weekly. icon_rolleyes.gif

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 4:44am
post #40 of 107

Oh, and if CAKE BALLS are slightly ill-formed or irregular in any way, it's because... Wait for it.... ART IMITATES LIFE!!!!! AAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAAAA Image

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 5:09am
post #41 of 107

Challenge him to a cake bake-off.

CakesHeaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesHeaven Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 5:29am
post #42 of 107

I have one of those guys in my office. I told everyone that I was trying new recipies and they can eat what I bring in. This guy started telling me it didn't have enough spices in my carrot cake and what types I should use....I just looked at him and said then don't eat it and make your own. He never says anything anymore except thanks for the cake.
I also have one that complains that I bring treats because she's always on a diet though she's usually the first one digging into it and at the vending machine. I've also told her that I'm not forcing her to eat it icon_smile.gif
There is one jerk everywhere, we just have to slap them into reality...lol

Mrs-A Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 5:51am
post #43 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie2

....... why is there a baby in a barrel? :......

heheheheh - this just makes me laugh when i read it & beautiful cake!

keriskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keriskreations Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 5:53am
post #44 of 107

Boy, it never ceases to amaze me how bold people are, especially when it comes to FREE stuff! Seriously - you're not stuffing it down his throat, and if he didn't like one of your cakes, why does he keep going back? I might slightly (and I mean SLIGHTLY) agree with he thinks he's trying to help - but if this is him helping, he's an idiot with no social skills. Oh, sorry, was that out loud? I love the comments about giving the cake to everyone else and not him - that would definitely get a point across. And who cares if cake balls aren't uniform - really - this is what you're worrying about? If it's HAND made, they probably won't be uniform - and is that going to throw the universe in to a tail spin because they aren't all 2.58"? NO! And too much butter - Paula Deen would be so upset - you can never have too much butter!

Hey - I'll fly over to Australia, and come to work with you once a week for free cake, and I promise you won't hear a peep out of me - other than, thanks for the free cake, and you're AWESOME! icon_wink.gif

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 5:55am
post #45 of 107

I often wonder if people like this have to make an effort to be a jerk or if it just comes natural? icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 8:25am
post #46 of 107

Did I read somewhere in this post that this guy was an engineer? Having worked with engineers, I have to say they DO think differently than most folks. (And I mean that in a good way .... they are amusing to talk to!)

I also knew a guy who thought he HAD to offer some idea on how to improve something when asked "What do you think?" He could never say "it's looks/tastes fine". He always had to do the "well, it would look/taste better if you did this ...."

I divorced him. icon_rolleyes.gif

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 8:44am
post #47 of 107

I had someone like this ONCE icon_biggrin.gif Everyone was eating, enjoying. Then this person (Mother) said something negative, I forget now what was said. I told her to stop eating it, because she can't appreciate it 'cause she has a palate like a cement truck. icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 3:10pm
post #48 of 107

I would make up some "comment cards" and make an announcement that since (some individuals) were so FREE with their comments and critiques that you thought it would be helpful if you left cards and if everyone that tried the cake could quickly check the things they liked or disliked about them.

He might be trying to actually be helpful and just isn't doing it in a tactful manner.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 3:13pm
post #49 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Did I read somewhere in this post that this guy was an engineer? Having worked with engineers, I have to say they DO think differently than most folks. (And I mean that in a good way .... they are amusing to talk to!)

I also knew a guy who thought he HAD to offer some idea on how to improve something when asked "What do you think?" He could never say "it's looks/tastes fine". He always had to do the "well, it would look/taste better if you did this ...."

Haha

Did you know that depending on the evidence that a lot prosecutors don't want engineers on their juries? They found that engineers cause more hung juries than almost any other demographic. It seems that a lot of them want confessions before they will convict. I'm guessing they don't do "circumstantial evidence" very well or their logic is just different. I guess unless things line up exactly as they think they should they won't convict. I've watched a few trials, IRL and TV, and if there is one on the jury they keep worring about that person.

Hey I am talking about them like they are different species. I am certain not all of them are like that and also certain that most are very good people so I'm not meaning to offend any engineers out there!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 3:29pm
post #50 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustToEatCake

Did you know that depending on the evidence that a lot prosecutors don't want engineers on their juries? They found that engineers cause more hung juries than almost any other demographic. It seems that a lot of them want confessions before they will convict. I'm guessing they don't do "circumstantial evidence" very well or their logic is just different.

Well, now that I think about it, I don't think that I'd want to hire an engineer who was okay with saying "close enough!" icon_lol.gif

sweetpea223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea223 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 3:42pm
post #51 of 107

Indydebi, I work in the engineering field and when I was taking recreational classes at the culinary school, everyone appreciated the cakes I bring in. But that is funny about you divorcing him. LOL!

Even now when I bring some cakes in...esp. last yr when I experimented on different cake recipes for my niece's 18th b-day, they all loved it. Funny tho, I am so used to critiques from my family that every time I make a cake, I wait for it and I only get `your cake is delicious! When are you making cakes again?'

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 3:56pm
post #52 of 107

I'd send the next one somewhere else. Husband's work, neighbor's house or where ever. Then see if he comes to you and says anything about no cake. I'd be curious.

I'm going to vote for the he either thinks he is being helpful or he is just being a pain in the ass. You'll have to ignore him or tell him you aren't interested in his opinions.

My mother is one of those, it would have been better if you, or next time you should... I learned long ago she wasn't saying it in a mean way and didn't realise how it actually sounded to others. She thought it was being helpful.

FierceConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FierceConfections Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 4:53pm
post #53 of 107

Oy! I completely understand the engineer critiques! DH is an engineer (and so are his friends), and he can somehow look at every cake I make with more scrutiny than I can. I have to constantly remind him that it's sugar, not plastic. It will never be 100% perfect. But I love him, so I can forgive him. icon_biggrin.gif

His friends, on the other hand - not so much! I had just made a Winnie the Pooh fondant figurine that I was rather proud of, when one of his friends came over to inspect it. He proceeded to point out every. single. flaw. right down to being able to see the joints where I'd attached the legs and arms. He told me that next time I should make everything from one piece of fondant. icon_mad.giftapedshut.gif

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 4:58pm
post #54 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by FierceConfections

Oy! I completely understand the engineer critiques! DH is an engineer (and so are his friends), and he can somehow look at every cake I make with more scrutiny than I can. I have to constantly remind him that it's sugar, not plastic. It will never be 100% perfect. But I love him, so I can forgive him. icon_biggrin.gif

His friends, on the other hand - not so much! I had just made a Winnie the Pooh fondant figurine that I was rather proud of, when one of his friends came over to inspect it. He proceeded to point out every. single. flaw. right down to being able to see the joints where I'd attached the legs and arms. He told me that next time I should make everything from one piece of fondant. icon_mad.giftapedshut.gif

Oh please, hand him the fondant and ask him to show exactly what he means......

keriskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keriskreations Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 4:58pm
post #55 of 107

His friends, on the other hand - not so much! I had just made a Winnie the Pooh fondant figurine that I was rather proud of, when one of his friends came over to inspect it. He proceeded to point out every. single. flaw. right down to being able to see the joints where I'd attached the legs and arms. He told me that next time I should make everything from one piece of fondant.

I love this - hey, if you can make a Winnie the Pooh from ONE piece of fondant, a tutorial is DEFINITELY in order!! I love it!

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 5:11pm
post #56 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Hilarioussssss!

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 7:05pm
post #57 of 107

Mrs-A, give the jerk a slice of your cake, if he finds something wrong with it then send your e-mail of the week stating

There will be no cake this week, due to the fact that I value jerks opion, I gave jerk a slice and he thinks it is too dry, buttery or misshaped. I am trying to make the best cake around and if jerk finds anything wrong with my cake, I feel like I am not doing my best and the best is the only kind of cake that ya'll deserve. Hoping I can make a better one next week. Sorry I made ya'lls mouth water maybe next week. Thank ya'll for trying my cakes.

don't really do this but it made me feel better just typing it lol I feel bad for you. Maybe take him to the side and tell him his opinion does matter to you but you would appreciate if he would tell you when no body else will hear. That way if he trying to help you he won't mind and if it is for attention he will be offened and then you can go after him. Tell him that you feel that if others hear his comments that they will already have a his comment in mind and wouldn't really be able to determine for themselves how your cake is.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 7:15pm
post #58 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jamie_

Anyone that ever says there is too much butter in their cake needs to be slapped, poked in the eye with a dowel, and had the entire contents of a Funfetti cake mix shoved down their throat. Dry.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!! Don't forget to wash it down with some Wilton fondant!! icon_wink.gif

(if this was already said ignore me, but I had to laugh and comment... now on to read the rest)

kjskid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjskid Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 7:41pm
post #59 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs-A

he said there were too many fresh strawberries with the cream in the middle

There is no. such. thing.

sahrow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sahrow Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 8:09pm
post #60 of 107

I love sending cakes in to work with my engineer husband. He has only one coworker who will actually give feedback on imperfections. Usually they all say positive things which is great, but I like the constructive criticism, too. There was only one time I made a mental "huh?" to his comment. I had sent in a cake with fondant on it. They were Wilton (which is probably why the neg. comment) but hubby had made it a point to let it be known that I was trying a technique with airbrushing pearl dust on the cake and that I had used wilton fondant, and to please peel it off. The guy ate it anyway (eeewww) and his comment was that the fondant wasn't nearly as good as what I had used on the previous cake. well... DUH... the last time I did homemade cream cheese fondant. There is no comparison! Hubby even laughed at the comment because he left a note by the cake so everyone would know I hadn't made the fondant that time.

Yeah, I use my hubby's coworkers as guinea pigs. The cake is always eaten, and most comments are almost too nice. I think they appreciate the cake too much. *lol*

Take it at face value. Men tend toward saying what they think, and I'm ok with that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%