Help With Makin Clay Extruder And Fondant

Decorating By MeggieBeth Updated 24 May 2010 , 6:47am by cakeladyatLA

MeggieBeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeggieBeth Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 8:31pm
post #1 of 15

I got a Makin Clay Extruder to use for a cake I made last week after seeing several posts about them. I had a problem, though. I used one of the small plates that extrudes a circular rope to make black stripes on the side of a cake. I worked with the fondant till it was a good consistency. It felt right...the way fondant should feel. When I started using the extruder, every single stripe came out very fragile and with little striations all over. I don't know what I did wrong. Should I bee greasing the plate or fondant? Something else? I'm not sure how to fix the problem, but I know the extruders have to work, because I've seen some great results from other people! Thanks!

14 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 8:42pm
post #2 of 15

I add just a little gum-tex to mine and it works like a charm.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 8:45pm
post #3 of 15

Knead some crisco into your fondant. You want it really soft, much softer than you'd want it for putting on a cake.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 8:51pm
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Knead some crisco into your fondant. You want it really soft, much softer than you'd want it for putting on a cake.

Really? I am going to try that myself. I don't know who told me to use tylose but I'm thinking I like your idea much better... icon_biggrin.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 11:29pm
post #5 of 15

You can add tylose for something that needs to be stronger, like a string that's hanging across an open space. The crisco helps make it come out with smooth edges.

MeggieBeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeggieBeth Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 11:47pm
post #6 of 15

I already knead shortening into my fondant, but I'll try kneading more into the fondant I use in the extruder. Thanks for the advice!

Nusi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nusi Posted 23 May 2010 , 10:45am
post #7 of 15

hey meggiebeth.. did it work.. i also had the same issue i tried making a rope with marshmillow fondant.. i put it in the microwave and added shortning but it still didnt work. im gonna try adding more crisco it might work

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 23 May 2010 , 11:15am
post #8 of 15

You can also use water. Take a cup of water, dip your fondant in it. (Just dip, like dunking a doughnut, to get the surface wet.) Knead it. Repeat until the fondant has a texture like chewing gum.

I learned this in a Lindy Smith class. It works like a charm!

dcarylmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcarylmk Posted 23 May 2010 , 11:39am
post #9 of 15

I agree, add alittle crisco into the fondant! Works like a charm!

Hillywu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hillywu Posted 23 May 2010 , 11:51am
post #10 of 15

One thing I've seen done to make a rope nice and smooth once it's extruded is to take your fonant smoother and roll the rope underneath that. It smoothed out all those striations. I hope that makes sense icon_lol.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 23 May 2010 , 3:59pm
post #11 of 15

In addition to the above suggestions, make sure you are smoothly cranking the handle to prevent the tool chatter.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 24 May 2010 , 5:46am
post #12 of 15

I microwave the piece going into the barrel before putting it in & have just started adding a small amount of Wilton's glycerin to coat the outside....The results are awesome, I won't extrude any other way!

(This is without tylose, just regular fondant)

andreamen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andreamen1 Posted 24 May 2010 , 5:52am
post #13 of 15

i brush the whole inside of the extruder with some crisco and the plates and it work really good.

SunshineSally Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SunshineSally Posted 24 May 2010 , 6:11am
post #14 of 15

I use the wilton glycerin also!! works like a charm!!!

cakeladyatLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyatLA Posted 24 May 2010 , 6:47am
post #15 of 15

I recommend using warm fondant. Works for me because you don't loose the integrity of the fondant, so it won't be weaker or looser, cause as soon as it cools down it's the same old fondant. HTH

Patty*

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%