Any Ideas?

Decorating By lil_baker_13 Updated 15 Feb 2010 , 9:12pm by bobwonderbuns

lil_baker_13 Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 7:14pm
post #1 of 6

okay so right now im 14. Yess im very young but i have a passion for cake decorating. What do you guys suggest i do to start out? Right now im just making cakes for ffriends and family but i want to get started. Now i know of course im not going to be openning up a business anytime soon (unfortunatley icon_sad.gif ) but should i make a portfoli of all the cakes i have made? And where do u recommend taking classes other than wilton? Also am i too young to try and find a job working in a cake store washing dishes or sumthin? anything to get some expierence. Sorry call me crazy that im so young but i love what i do(:

5 replies
tiggy2 Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 7:41pm
post #2 of 6

Most classes other then Wilton are usually quite expensive. A lot of the well known designers offer classes but you would probably have to travel. Your best bet might be to get some of the great DVDs that are available. Sharon Zambito, Jennifer Dontz, Edna (Design Me A Cake). Sharon has great DVDs on buttercream, fondant, stacking, boxes & bows, topsy turvy, and new one coming out next week on sheet cakes. Her website is Jennifer Dontz has a couple of fondant DVDs and a flower arranging one Edna has some free tutorials on youtube and a couple of gumpaste flower DVDs

bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 7:56pm
post #3 of 6

Hi Lil_baker!! I would suggest trying to find a local cake decorating class, either night school or at a cake store. If you cannot find one, ask experienced decorators in your area if they will teach you privately. There's always YouTube for specific techniques. You should absolutely take pictures of as many cakes as you've made (if not all of them) for both a portfolio and to see how far you've come. I still enjoy looking back at some of my first cakes, remembering how I thought I had really hit the jackpot with some of those basic techniques. icon_lol.gif Check out the ICES chapters in your area and if you can afford it, join up. And the most important thing -- practice, practice, practice! icon_biggrin.gif

pugmama1 Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 8:04pm
post #4 of 6

Yes, take pictures of everything you do- several shots of the same cake. Community colleges often have classes that are fairly reasonable and look for a cake club in your area. Good luck- wish I had started that early.

lil_baker_13 Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 8:31pm
post #5 of 6

Haha okay. Im gonna finish the last course for Wilton because I've already taken 3. And my best friends grandpa is a pastry chef so i was thinking of talking to him and having him help me out. I just wish i could do more though. I wish being young wouldn't limit my options. Its not fair LOL.

bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 9:12pm
post #6 of 6

Being young doesn't necessarily limit your options. There's still online sources and practice. That's what will get you farther than anything.

Quote by @%username% on %date%