Ganache Not Setting Up

Decorating By Sweet_Kakes Updated 15 Feb 2010 , 10:14pm by Sweet_Kakes

Sweet_Kakes Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 6:28pm
post #1 of 5

I'm not sure if this is in the right forum or not but here goes. I made my ganache yesterday and let it setup over night and then today i poured it over my cake and then put it in the frig for little over 2 hours and the coating is not hard... Is it suppose to be hard or still soft? How am I suppose to cover it in fondant?

Thank you for your help!!

4 replies
bashini Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 8:09pm
post #2 of 5

Hi, if you are going to cover your cake in fondant, you shouldn't have made poured ganache. The ratio should be 1:2 of cream to chocolate if its dark chocolate. For white chocolate, it 1:3 ratio of cream to white chocolate. You hve make it, leave it over night to set and then next day cover the cake with ganache and leave it to. If possible scrape the soft ganache and start all over again.

Deb_ Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 8:10pm
post #3 of 5

My ganache never gets hard....it's still sticky to the touch, is this how yours is?

Loucinda Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 9:46pm
post #4 of 5

There are several different ratios to use depending on what you want to do with the ganache. (truffles, whipped for icing, pourable, etc.) I just usually do the 12 oz. chocolate to 8 ounces of cream and use it - if you just let it set for a little while, it is pourable, a little longer it is good whipped, and if you refrigerate it - it is then truffle filling. (I use it for cake filling at that point - and I roll it out with a rolling pin to get it on the cake.) icon_wink.gif

Sweet_Kakes Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 10:14pm
post #5 of 5

Yes the ganache is still sticky to the touch and the ratio i use was 3:1....3 cups white chocoate and 1 1/2 cups cream. I heated the cream and then poured it over the chocolate whisked it together until melted and then i let it sit for about 6 hours andthen put it in the fridge. and it was thick but till pourable and i was really looking for a more spreadable ganache.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%